Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Installation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For wall connection installation, do you guys pick the electrician from the Tesla website or can it be any licensed electrician?
My opinion is use the Tesla recommended electricians.
I live in a condo, it has 4 chargers/connectors installed already. Gen Manager had me contact the electricians that placed those. One came out for walk through but never gave me a quote, the 2nd one never answered my calls/emails. I then contacted 3 electricians from the Tesla recommendation page and they all answered. First one that responded came out and did a walk through in July and they just did the install Monday (timing was my choice). Now I wait for my car.

Tesla recommended 3 of them in my area. One of them gave me outrageous price another one say they will stop by in October -November because they so busy with solar and another one did not respond so I found one on Home Advisor
So the first walk through guy made the obvious recommendation to connect to meter on my garage floor but it was likely twice what I paid. Tesla recommended electrician suggested alternate....here's my WC. Install goes down and across several parking spaces, up through a hole in the floor along large pipe to the submeter on the garage floor above me. Sadly I park my 2003 Corolla next to it. The neighbors must be confused. 😳

Attachments

• IMG_20210927_144502.jpg
    IMG_20210927_144502.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 640
My main power supply is on the other side of the wall with the skis. It's about 30 feet total run that you can see. There's 5 feet in the main outdoor cabinet. With that said, I had 3 quotes from different companies ($2100, 1700, 900) and obviously went with the cheapest as they are all well-known companies and it's not exactly rocket science.

I had 3 quotes from different companies ($2100, 1700, 900) and obviously went with the cheapest as they are all well-known companies and it's not exactly rocket science.
I had a similar experience with my CO install. Prices ranged from $1,250 to $3,600. The most expensive one wanted to run a trench around my house. The cheapest one ran cable through my crawlspace to the garage.

I just had a Tesla recommended installer quote me 2100. Charger is to be installed 20 ft from Circuit box in my garage. It’s not that much in labor and materials needed, 2100 bucks is outrageous. My charger install at my last house was 900 bucks and was further away from circuit box. WARNING… be sure to get three quotes, make sure one or two are not the Tesla recommend Electricians. 2100is a total rip off For such a simple job. IN KY just outside of Louisville.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
I just had a Tesla recommended installer quote me 2100. Charger is to be installed 20 ft from Circuit box in my garage. It’s not that much in labor and materials needed, 2100 bucks is outrageous. My charger install at my last house was 900 bucks and was further away from circuit box. WARNING… be sure to get three quotes, make sure one or two are not the Tesla recommend Electricians. 2100is a total rip off For such a simple job. IN KY just outside of Louisville.
Does the $2100 quote include the cost of the Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector ($400)?

Yeah, that's 'way too much. I think I paid $600 or $700 back in 2018, I bought the Gen2 WC myself. Copper hasn't gotten that expensive.

too much. its a tesla tax. unless your box requires significant upgrades 100a-200a etc.....

I paid $2700 for a 60a with 125" for installation and wall connector installation/commissioning. Plus I had to purchase the tesla wall connector fwiw