TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wall Charger installed outside?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by bomquito, Jul 17, 2018.

1. bomquito

bomquito Member

Anyone has experienced installing a Wall Charger outside of the garage?

I was recommended a spot outside of my garage, on the stucco wall, as the electrician could not find a good spot inside my garage. He stated the wall chargers works outside as they are weather proof. Is this true? I am also afraid that the cord my get damaged once I close the garage door over (in case of at night charging). I think it's overall a bad idea.

Your thoughts?

Can't wait to pick up my model 3 on Saturday....

2. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Of course--otherwise every one of thousands of hotels with them outside has a problem.

Oh, having the wall connector outside, but the car is inside? OK, yeah, that's not a very good idea. I thought you were talking about charging your car out on the driveway. It's not really recommended to have a garage door pressing on the cord all the time like that, but I have heard of people dealing with that by cutting a small channel in the concrete so the charging cord sits somewhat underneath where the garage door stops, but that's a bit of a troublesome solution. I guess I would wonder a little more why if the circuit can be gotten all the way to that wall, why it can't be put on the inside of that wall?

3. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Get a new electrician

• Like x 3
  4. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

But yes, no issue with the unit outside. The unit has a GFCI built into it and it does not turn the power on to the cord until it is plugged into the car as an added safety feature.

But yeah, I would not run it under the garage door. That could damage the cable or leave a crack for critters to get in... I put my Wall Connector outside and a NEMA 14-50 inside for this specific reason so I had a way to charge in both places. Normally the car sits outside though.

-Eric

5. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Cocoa Beach Pier has wall chargers in the open on the beach and they still work. Much more severe conditions than most.

6. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

I have the opposite situation: car outside but I wanted the wall charger inside the garage. My solution was to slightly undercut the garage door frame and run the charging cable behind the door track. Now I can open and close the garage door without affecting the cable. If OP really must put his charger outside, this sort of cable routing could be a possible solution.

7. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Pics pls ...

8. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

#8 Rockster, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    Cable.jpg

The HPWC cable looks different because I protected the cable by wrapping it in this mesh sleeve material to keep it from getting scuffed up. The portion of the cable that resides outside hangs on a Gecko's Toes hose mount.

• Like x 3
  9. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

Nice! I would be worried about critters getting in with that large an opening...

• Like x 1
  10. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

So far, no critters in six months. The undercut is a bit higher than it actually needed to be because the bottom of the frame had absorbed moisture and was rotted, so I cut it away. When it's not >105 degrees outside I'll likely lengthen that frame a bit and tidy it all up by possibly anchoring the cable to the frame somehow so that it's not just laying there. I'm not in a hurry. It's just too freakin' hot out there right now to mess with it!

11. davewill

davewill Member

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous to say there's no place in an entire garage to mount it.

• Funny x 1
  12. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

The Tesla guys are phenomenal. First pic is the conduit coming from the outside breaker box. The installed the conduit at the building seam and above eye level to minimize visual impact. Coming into garage...and to the wall charger. They painted the conduit. Top notch job.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  13. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Nice work ...how long a run ?

14. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

Maybe 25’ outside, 30’ inside and down to Charger.

15. bomquito

bomquito Member

How much did they charge you for the work?

16. Dana1

Dana1 Supporting Member

It was close to $1100 (that included price of charger). You fill out an online form, with pictures, and they send quote back. About 3 weeks altogether.

• Like x 1
  17. bomquito

bomquito Member

Just realized the service is not available in California. I am glad you received a wonderful experience from their Charging team.

18. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Great price !!

19. eprosenx

eprosenx Active Member

Wow, getting electricians to paint. That’s crazy. I would never guess electricians would do that in their scope of work! Did they have to go get paint from a shop too or did you have it? Does that include the HPWC price?

In reality, that is not too hard an install, just need someone who knows how to bend pipe.

Glad you had a great experience!

P.S. Did they send someone else out to do the paint? How did they color match it?

20. tentimesodds

tentimesodds Member

I can’t even get electricians to patch the drywall hole they want to cut near my panel to add the wire out to my outdoor charger!

$1100 for this install is a steal if it includes the HPWC. Still getting quotes on my install but the first one was $675 not including the HPWC, and that’s only a 25’ run with mounting the HPWC on my porch—no painting or anything.