Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my first Tesla two weeks ago (M3P). I finally received my wall charger 5 days ago (Gen3). The owner of the company i work for gave me permission to install the wall charger at work. I had it installed by our in house electrician. It powers up perfectly. It took me a couple days to get wifi to it to complete the firmware/software updates. That's all done now. I plugged in to my M3, Ive got the green flowing lights on the charger, green flashing light on the charge port. The screen in the car says its charging, However, all the charge stats at the bottom of the screen say zero.
I feel pretty confident the all the setting are correct. In doing some online research, i keep seeing that the north American cars and chargers are only designed for single phase. I work at a manufacturing facility that only has 3 phase, which is where ive installed this charger.
So, am i on the right track here as far as what the issue is?
Why didn't the charger or the car detect this issue immediately?
And most importantly, does anyone know a workaround for this?
And yes, Ive tried contacting tesla support..... They went out for a pack of cigarettes the moment i signed the purchase agreement...

I just got my first Tesla two weeks ago (M3P). I finally received my wall charger 5 days ago (Gen3). The owner of the company i work for gave me permission to install the wall charger at work. I had it installed by our in house electrician. It powers up perfectly. It took me a couple days to get wifi to it to complete the firmware/software updates. That's all done now. I plugged in to my M3, Ive got the green flowing lights on the charger, green flashing light on the charge port. The screen in the car says its charging, However, all the charge stats at the bottom of the screen say zero.
I feel pretty confident the all the setting are correct. In doing some online research, i keep seeing that the north American cars and chargers are only designed for single phase. I work at a manufacturing facility that only has 3 phase, which is where ive installed this charger.
So, am i on the right track here as far as what the issue is?
Why didn't the charger or the car detect this issue immediately?
And most importantly, does anyone know a workaround for this?
And yes, Ive tried contacting tesla support..... They went out for a pack of cigarettes the moment i signed the purchase agreement...

I'm not sure how the Gen3 deals with three phase, or if it does at all. The Gen2 could accept either two of the phases as L1/L2 and give you 208V(which is fine but slower), or even one phase(277V) to ground as L1/L2, which gives a whopping 13kw at 48amps.

How long did you leave it connected? I'd expect if there were problems, you wouldn't get flowing green lights at all. What voltage is being shown on the car's screen?

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I'm not sure how the Gen3 deals with three phase, or if it does at all. The Gen2 could accept either two of the phases as L1/L2 and give you 208V(which is fine but slower), or even one phase(277V) to ground as L1/L2, which gives a whopping 13kw at 48amps.

How long did you leave it connected? I'd expect if there were problems, you wouldn't get flowing green lights at all. What voltage is being shown on the car's screen?
After about 10 minutes it stops. Then the wall charger will display a solid blue light, and the "T" at the charge port turns solid red. While its "charging" the screen in the car displays 236 volts. All the other charge stats are at zero.

• Informative
Upvote 0
Probably a silly question, but are you sure you don't have a charging timer set? Can you share a screenshot of what you se

(sorry, new to this site. Idk how the above happened.)
i don't have any charging timer/schedule assigned on the car. I'm not aware of any settings for that on the commissioning interface of the charger. Ill double check that.
What would you like to see a screenshot of?

Upvote 0
Take the cover off the wall connector and measure the voltage between

L1 to ground
L2 to ground
and L1 to L2

Post what they here
the electrician is gone for the day, will this screenshot from the commissioning interface work?
IMG_6099.jpg

Upvote 0
Something is not right. 117.3v + 114.1v = 231.4v, so L1 to L2 at 200v is a problem.
L1 to L2 at 200V is reasonable if the power is coming from two of three phases(usually 208V), but the car shouldn't be reporting ~236V in that case. Unlike standard one-phase power of a typical residence where the two 120V legs are 180 degrees out of phase with each other, on a three phase system you'd have the three legs be 120 degrees out of phase with each other.

Upvote 0
Or this gen3 is not going to work with the 3phase?

First I am not an electrician! But I think it can be made to work, just not the way it is wired. What you should have, I believe, is ONE hot wire, a neutral and a ground. The voltage from hot to neutral (or hot to ground) can be 120v, 208v, or 230v.. Also, in the Delta model, if you use the correct two phases you can get 240v between to hots.

Talk it over with your electrician, he should know if the problem can be solved.

ThreePhaseSchemes.jpg

• Helpful
Upvote 0
First I am not an electrician! But I think it can be made to work, just not the way it is wired. What you should have, I believe, is ONE hot wire, a neutral and a ground. The voltage from hot to neutral (or hot to ground) can be 120v, 208v, or 230v.. Also, in the Delta model, if you use the correct two phases you can get 240v between to hots.

Talk it over with your electrician, he should know if the problem can be solved.

View attachment 820967
Thanks bud! I’ll show this to the electrician Monday.

Upvote 0
Commercial 3 phase power is 208V phase to phase and 120V phase to ground, so there is nothing wrong with the wiring job; the wall connectors and other J1772 EVSEs are designed to work no problem at that voltage. I would find a public J1772 plug or Tesla connector and see if the problem can be replicated. I would guess the charge controller board might be bad if it thinks it has 236V when it actually only has 200V.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Upvote 0
Commercial 3 phase power is 208V phase to phase and 120V phase to ground, so there is nothing wrong with the wiring job; the wall connectors and other J1772 EVSEs are designed to work no problem at that voltage. I would find a public J1772 plug or Tesla connector and see if the problem can be replicated. I would guess the charge controller board might be bad if it thinks it has 236V when it actually only has 200V.
Is this a charge controller board in the wall charger or in the car?

Upvote 0