Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ive had my Tesla wall charger for 12 months, up until recently it’s been perfect. However, for the last 2/3 weeks the car keeps saying check power source on an almost daily basis. Car charges fine everywhere else including my Tesla wall charger at work. Anyone got any ideas?

If I press and hold the reset button on the side of the unit or cycle the main breaker it starts charging again.

Do I call the company who installed it to come and check it or can Tesla help?

Thanks

Hi,
We had a similar issue, turns out that one of the cables on the handset had come lose/broken. It was remotely diagnosed by Tesla. We noticed if you untangle / twist the cable it made things work or not depending on how many twists. Replaced the whole unit under warranty and now 100% fine.

@NickyTC seems to confirm the mentions I have seen that some of the early model TWCs have a cable clamp that isn't serrated, over time the cable will pull down from the charger and the control pilot / data signal cables can pull out of the terminals on the PCB. This may be the issue, it needs the TWC internal checking. Probably your installer can check this - if it looks good in the TWC & the wiring back through to the meter is good I think it's likely back to Tesla for a replacement. If you have the same issue with a new one then it's possibly something that needs better diagnostics on your electrics.

Whether you'd need a new RCD if you replaced the TWC would be another question for your installer - the rabbit hole to go down is Tesla Wall Connector - Type B / Type A-EV RCD I still haven't recovered from that one.

Good luck :)

6 year rule (look it up) - its not warranty but Tesla would have to prove that their wall connector was such poor quality that it would not be expected to last the time that you owned it - I don't think it would be in their interest to do that and ultimately, it would not be their decision to make.

I got a 5 year old MacBook Pro fixed using this - no hassle, Apple knew about the rule and capitulated pretty quickly - others may need a bit more education.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP and Fullerene
Thanks for all the replies. I’m away at the min but will do some checking when I’m back. What is the warranty on the wall charger? It was 12 months about 3 weeks ago!
Did you have the charger linked to your Tesla account when you bought it? If so, it should have the same warranty as the car, 4 years. Otherwise it is 12 months.

ive had my Tesla wall charger for 12 months, up until recently it’s been perfect. However, for the last 2/3 weeks the car keeps saying check power source on an almost daily basis. Car charges fine everywhere else including my Tesla wall charger at work. Anyone got any ideas?

If I press and hold the reset button on the side of the unit or cycle the main breaker it starts charging again.

Do I call the company who installed it to come and check it or can Tesla help?

Thanks
If TWC has solid green light on top and car shows messages "check power source" its high possibility you have bad/loose etc. GROUND . Had same issue 🙂