TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wall Charger Issues

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by ICUDoc, May 17, 2016.

1. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I have been getting by with a GPO (normal 10amp wall three pin plug) as my power source at home for the last six months of Tesla ownership- only once have I decided to use the (close-by) Supercharger to augment my charging rate.
    But eventually I got around to having the Tesla wall charger installed.
    It didn't work.
    My friend and electrician (Dennis, from Five Star Electrical) was flummoxed, as I gave him the instruction manual that came with the charger and he followed it to the letter.
    Turns out (LOOONG story short) that the manual is IN ENGLISH FOR THE CHINESE SECTION and if you follow that section, the active and neutral leads will be switched.
    Oddly, this generates an error of four red flashes that means "no effective ground connection".
    We discovered the Australian section AT THE BACK OF THE MANUAL. The wiring diagram here is correct. The wiring diagram on the PDF on the MyTesla downloads page is correct.
    SO: read the right part of the manual. Use the PDF. Ask an electrician who has done it before.
    Very frustrating, I must say....

2. raynewman

raynewman Member

Ya - I had that problem back in Feb 2014; they are still using the same doco.

3. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

I'm writing to Jesse now- it should be fixed. Annoying and sloppy!!!
    We should make a warning note about this a Sticky for the Australian Forum.
    Regards

4. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

I had the same issue also, my electrician installed in December 2015. Quick call to Tesla and set my electrician straight.

However, agreed,.his should have been adhered by now....

5. Bullet1

Bullet1 Electric - way of the future

Glad I found this thread as just had my Wall connector delivered. Would this apply to 3 Phase Wall connector also?

6. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

My 3 phase wall connector is being installed on Friday by a Tesla provided electrician in place of my existing single phase charger so will let you know.
    Hopefully its not the same as for the 3 phase as the installation manual is newer and different document.

7. Novatec

Novatec Member

My single phase wall connector due to be installed next week by a local electrician, thanks for posting this.

8. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Hope it helps- make sure the charger works for your car before the electrician leaves.
    I rang the Tesla help line- within 2 mins I was chatting to the rep Jo knew all about it.
    PS my home phone's battery died during the chat: Tesla GERMANY called me back on my mobile in less than a minute!! Amazing service / system setup!!!

9. TesAus

TesAus Member

My 3 phase HPWC was installed about a month ago and no issues of swapped connections.

We had the same issue as everyone else on single phase unit in December 2014, but was picked up and corrected at time of install

10. alpal

alpal Member

I ordered an extra charger when I ordered my car which I picked up and installed before my car was delivered and I was specifically advised (warned) to follow the Australian section of the manual for installation. My electrician, however, managed to follow another section thinking it was all the same with the identical results to ICUDoc. Go figure. But I was at least warned.

11. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

My single phase was the first one installed on Oz. Mitchell was on hand with the electrician, so no issues. The 3 phase is a piece of cake. Very easy instal. No issues and the manual is for Australia.