Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Location & orientation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like I will getting my MYLR soon ( I have a VIN, so hopeful) and starting to think about the wall charger. Is there any reason that the charger can't be installed on the ceiling of my garage? Also, does it need to be installed in the "vertical" orientation as shown in the install manual? I'm thinking of suspending the charger cable along a guy wire and spring assembly to keep it off the floor when not in use, pull it down to connect when charging.

Am I crazy?

Reactions: Lucas007
I screwed up, I originally had a Clipper Creek that had a 25 ft cord so I had the electrician install my NEMA 14-50 outlet on the back wall of my garage to the right of the door into the house. That allowed my wife to PULL IN on the right or me to BACK IN on the left or even right side. My wife doesn't like backing into the garage. It worked great with my wife Volt, due to the location of the charging port.
Nm2lfen.jpg

And therein lies the problem, if you own or buy any other EV the charging ports are in different locations compared to a tesla.

Then we upgraded (so I thought) to a new Gen 3 WC that had an 18 ft cable. So while I can still back in on the left we discovered that due to shelves on the right side of the garage, we can only get the cord to SAFELY reach the charge port if my wife PULLS IN and physically touches the workbench, and even then the cord is taught when plugged in and applying sideways pressure on the charging port.

So I now have to replace the 18 ft WC with the new 24 ft model and it's only two months old.

My advice is to cut a piece of cord/string to replicate the EVSE cord/plug, tack it up then park a car in all the possible locations and see what works.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I am looking forward to having my wall charger installed tomorrow even though my car looks to be a month out or so. But at least it might coming right around my birthday which could be a nice present. The installer offered a $50 discount if I went with the Gen 2 over the Gen 3 but I do not feel like it is worth it? Especially if it is a shorter cable and the make that I might get another Tesla down the line too.

Upvote 0
I am looking forward to having my wall charger installed tomorrow even though my car looks to be a month out or so. But at least it might coming right around my birthday which could be a nice present. The installer offered a $50 discount if I went with the Gen 2 over the Gen 3 but I do not feel like it is worth it? Especially if it is a shorter cable and the make that I might get another Tesla down the line too.
If it is truly a Gen2 Wall Connector then it has a 24 foot charging cord. The Gen2 uses physical switches to set the charging amperage settings. The Gen2 Wall Connector support load balancing but you must run a control cable between the Gen2 Wall Connector units. I would get the Gen3 Wall Connector as Tesla is planning to release additional over the air updates in the future that you may want to use including limiting whether charging to specific Tesla vehicles. The Gen3 now comes with a 24 foot charging cord so if you get the Gen 3 and you need the additional length be sure you are getting the latest Gen3 with the longer charging cord.

Reactions: EchoDelta
Upvote 0
We put ours between the two garage doors. Any car parked on the right is easy since most ports are on the left of the car. On the left, the cable will stretch behind the rear of the car to plug into a Tesla. If we ever got a non-Tesla EV, whoever parked on the left would have to back in if the port was on the front left. NBD.

Upvote 0
We put ours between the two garage doors. Any car parked on the right is easy since most ports are on the left of the car. On the left, the cable will stretch behind the rear of the car to plug into a Tesla. If we ever got a non-Tesla EV, whoever parked on the left would have to back in if the port was on the front left. NBD.

Or you just put another charger in on the other side. We also put a tesla charger between the two doors, but plan on putting another charger in on the left side if we end up with 2 ev's in the future. There's something to say about convenience and being able to charge at the same time...

Reactions: retlod
Upvote 0