Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Not lighting up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day guys.

Was wondering if any of you have run into this.

I've had my wall charger 2-3 months so far working fine.

Today I went ahead and plugged in my M3 and noticed the wall charger is not lighting up

Now I looked in the car (Standard Range Plus) and I'm getting 32A at 235V
IMG_0654.JPG

However, nothing is lit up on the wall charger.
I went ahead and turned off the charger by the breaker waited for a few and turned it back up.
Video link Basically it blinks Orange 4 times then turns off.

It seems to be charging fine which is strange but no light status.

Any insight would be helpful.
Again it's been working fine for 3 months. It's been really hot here so thought ok maybe the breaker or something but not sure at the moment. Maybe the electrician messed up or something? But the amps and voltage are there. Is there something defective with the Wall unit.

Once my M3 is charged I may throw the breaker and leave it off for an hour or so see if that does anything.

Reading the manual, there’s a handy troubleshooting section. in there I found only one section that matches your situations. it says 4 flashes on the Red light.

it says it’s caused by over or under voltage protection. please consult your electritian to ensure proper voltage on the circuit breaker.

Could be many things.
I say it’s time to call an electritian (maybe even the same one that helped you install it?).

Be careful here -- low risk, but, just be careful.
  • double check your breaker box - make sure everything looks okay
  • Is your car still charging? ... If no - stop using the cord and un-plug it
  • does anything feel warm? ... if yes - stop using the cord and un-plug it
  • Contact Tesla - if your car is less than 1yr old, I would hope Tesla would replace the cord for you

@MoHazee4
  • check your breaker box - make sure everything looks okay
Checked everything looks good.
Yes and posted pics in the last post
No, Good question
  • Contact Tesla - if your car is less than 1yr old, I would hope Tesla would replace the cord for you
Yes it's only 3 months old but why would that have to do with the Car itself. This is the wall charger, not the mobile charger that came with the car. (A video was included with last post of the wall charger starting up blinking orange 4 times)

@MoHazee4
No, Good question
Yes it's only 3 months old but why would that have to do with the Car itself. This is the wall charger, not the mobile charger that came with the car. (A video was included with last post of the wall charger starting up blinking orange 4 times)

This could be
  • An issue with the wiring in your home (Electrician ... breaker box)
  • An issue with the wall charger unit
  • An issue with your vehicle
If anything feels warm, smells funky, or is making noise -- I would stop using it.

For sure, contact Tesla -- just to make them aware, and to see if they will replace the unit for you.

OK I've played with the box a bit.

So at first, I turned the 50A double breaker off then back on didn't make a difference
Then I killed the whole breaker at once didn't make a difference.

It seems if I turn off all the breakers in the box then turn on just the 50A for the Wall charger
It worked...
It's back to showing the status of LED scrolling.

Now to test I figured I would just turn on the breakers one at a time and see which one stops it from working.
Short version went through all of them and the wall charger and it's still working.

So what kind of weird electrical thing is going on in my garage?

This is the First time this has happened and I guess if it happens again I will call out an electrician just would be nice to know what to point to.

Thanks for the input and suggestions guys.

Reactions: Dana1
@MoHazee4
No, Good question
The HPWC should also be under warranty. I’d ask Tesla for assistance.

I can't see your video, but if I interpret 'orange flashes four times' to mean 'red flashes four times, no other lights on', the manual suggests you probably have an undervoltage detected. Since the car says its getting 235V, you should be contacting Tesla about their bad HPWC which is detecting undervoltage when its not really low. For reference, I've seen my 3's display showing 224V and still charge. In fact, I've seen 183V on a crappy J1772 install, and it still charged...

Reactions: tfraley
If the wall connector is properly set up and the car is charging
But there is no light displayed or it is intermittent it could be
the cable connecting the electronics in side the wall charger
to the front panel light display is loose.
Perhaps the installer could stop by and check it out?

Last edited:
Reactions: eprosenx
I am not sure the light flash pattern you are seeing is not just some startup pattern it always flashes rather than some error code. I have not power cycled mine since I installed it and it is not in line of sight to the breaker so I could not see it the first time I powered it up.

I am wondering if the ribbon cable that connects from the front panel to the main board is loose: I would shut off power, remove the front panel, re-seat the connector and try again.

Otherwise you likely have a defective unit. Call Tesla.

I am not sure the light flash pattern you are seeing is not just some startup pattern it always flashes rather than some error code. I have not power cycled mine since I installed it and it is not in line of sight to the breaker so I could not see it the first time I powered it up.

I am wondering if the ribbon cable that connects from the front panel to the main board is loose: I would shut off power, remove the front panel, re-seat the connector and try again.

Otherwise you likely have a defective unit. Call Tesla.

Good point... if its the undervoltage warning, its supposed to repeat every minute.

Reactions: eprosenx
It very well could be the startup lights.

Like I was saying it's working now. I'm just curious what messed it up and if I should have an electrician come out.
Again. It was charging fine even thought status light wasn't displaying.

Not sure why powering on the wall charger first on the sub panel made a difference but that is what fixed it.