Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger now shows in app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not for me. Maybe because I’m in the US?
Probably. New regulation has just come into effect in the UK that would have prevented Tesla from selling their charger without the new smart features, so I guess the rollout is starting here to test it. I would expect the functionality to be rolled out worldwide once it is bug free rather than have country specific features.

So what does this actually do in the App?

Basically, I currently have a Indra charger (was installed free as part of a corsa e lease deal) but it’s not great. Was hoping to buy a Tesla Gen 3 unit and get it swapped over. But I need to be able to know how many kWh it’s used each month (to give to my dad as I’m in an annex on his house and have a sub electric meter, but he needs to know how many kWh I’ve used in the cheap night rate period)

My Indra does this but is a bit flakey, keeps loosing connection and loosing the stats. Plus I’d like the Tesla button on the charger!!

I can’t rely on the charge stats from the Tesla itself through the app as I also charge my wife’s electric corsa e)

Thanks

To be honest, other than the fancy car-in-garage graphic, it doesn't add a whole lot.

There's a new option under "Energy" on the Powerwall tab to "View EV Charging History" (this is probably somewhere else for owners without a Powerwall). The charging history seems to be patchy too. I'm not seeing entries for today's sessions, but the history does go back a couple of months so Tesla has been recording them even before this update. There is also no way to attribute a charging session to a specific TWC, of which I have two in the garage. This isn't a big deal for me as I have a separate homemade device recording charge power on each TWC.

The option to configure a charging schedule is also new. Though as mentioned by @SpareHeadOne it requires physical access to the TWC to change! I've disabled it as I frequently charge in the daytime with excess solar.

But it's a start, and I hope Tesla will continue to add/improve TWC features. Then again, the cynic in me says this is the bare minimum to meet the latest UK regs, and no further enhancements will occur.

Edit: Seems the charge sessions are logged only upon removing the charge plug. Multiple start/stop events are merged, and the session records the total kWh delivered. There's also an option to download history; the filename hints that it's for all sessions within the last 12 months.

Last edited:
For those who have the WC in their Tesla app.

What app version do you have, what WC firmware, does having a powerwall a must?

• My App is: 4.9.2-1087
  • WC: 22.7.0
WC in Tesla app now showing. I'm in the US.
Did you mean to type "WC in Tesla app not showing"? Or you're saying you actually do see the option in the app to add it? (I'm in the US and on the latest of everything, and don't see the option yet.)

Reactions: Cyberspeed
OK - when I saw this thread i went to app store and automatically update the tesla app. I was given v4.9.2 - WC was missing in app. but Powerwall was there.

I just went back to app store - searched Tesla again and got the v4.10.1111 - Now the WC has appeared...

I have the WiFi and password to the WC if I connect via the admin portal, but I don’t have an alternative to the QR code method in the app.

I called tech support and they said to scan the QR code on the instruction manual online. That didn’t work. They said to add it using an alternative method in-app. There isn’t an option. So they’ve passed this onto someone else.

I have the WiFi and password to the WC if I connect via the admin portal, but I don’t have an alternative to the QR code method in the app.

I called tech support and they said to scan the QR code on the instruction manual online. That didn’t work. They said to add it using an alternative method in-app. There isn’t an option. So they’ve passed this onto someone else.
I think it gives you the option to enter it manually, or just connect your phone manually to the Gen3, then go through the add process and it skips the QR bit, I had to add the Gen3 manually as QR bit kept failing

Ok. So the only way to change the schedule charge is to scan the QR code and log back onto the charger. This is pants! Why wouldn’t they enable me to make changes to the schedule charge without having to go to the charger in my garages. Ugh. #firstworldproblems