TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wall Charger - on a post..

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by dunkrag, Sep 25, 2019.

1. dunkrag

dunkrag Member

So I collect on Friday (order on 22nd Aug).
    I also move house on Friday - busy day....

I rent. Was up front with my landlord of the new place - 'I'm getting an electric car, I need to have a charger/socket installed, is that ok?' Yes was the answer, as long as they are involved in the install. No problem.

Get an email yesterday saying they would prefer not to do any damage to the outside of the house. . Thanks for that short notice.

So - unless I can persuade otherwise, Can I instal the Tesla wall connector to a heavy duty post in the ground? Or I could instal just inside the porch and run the cable through the letter box which will only be a run of about 3m (I have a 7.5m cable version).

thoughts?

2. Avendit

Avendit Member

Post should be ok, but you will have to run the cable to it, which in my mind will make just as much mess.

Will the charger be yours and you will take it with you when you move out, hence the problem? Might be better to get the landlord to install as an improvement that stays on the house and find a way to make this acceptable to them?

3. Electric Dream

Electric Dream Pilots the Millennium Milkfloat

@dunkrag There is someone on the Tesla owners FB Group supplying/fitting post mounted TWCs. if you're interested, I can PM you details.

4. dunkrag

dunkrag Member

Thanks- that would be great... I’m in Staffordshire...

5. dunkrag

dunkrag Member

Worst case,
    yes- worst case prepared to leave it in situ (I was in my last place for 12 years so not planning on going anywhere quick...

6. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Well-Known Member

My charger at work is done like that. Its been several years now, and is still fine :)

7. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

A lot of the Tesla destination chargers are on posts, should be fine