Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger, outlet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if time is not a huge consideration, is there anything wrong with simply using the 30 amp adapter every day and charging into the clothes-dryer outlet when I get home every day? I drive about 200miles and she recharges in about 8 hours. Does it damage the battery to routinely not use a Tesla charger? I piggybacked a second 30 amp outlet (NEMA14-30) into garage from the laundry room - only rule is that I can't use both dryer and charger at same time. No biggie. Electrician wanted to use 50 amp (NEMA14-50) outlet and so I'd use this 3 slotted adapter instead of the dryer one, stating that the car would know the amperage available was only 30 and only draw that. Is this true also? (any advantage or disadvantage to using a 3 slotted outlet with only the 30 available amps?

Electrician wanted to use 50 amp (NEMA14-50) outlet and so I'd use this 3 slotted adapter instead of the dryer one, stating that the car would know the amperage available was only 30 and only draw that. Is this true also? (any advantage or disadvantage to using a 3 slotted outlet with only the 30 available amps?

This is NOT true. The car decides the max current to pull based on the final plug adapter connected to the UMC. So if the UNC has a 14-50, the car will pull 40 unless otherwise dialed down.

So if time is not a huge consideration, is there anything wrong with simply using the 30 amp adapter every day and charging into the clothes-dryer outlet when I get home every day? I drive about 200miles and she recharges in about 8 hours. Does it damage the battery to routinely not use a Tesla charger? I piggybacked a second 30 amp outlet (NEMA14-30) into garage from the laundry room - only rule is that I can't use both dryer and charger at same time. No biggie. Electrician wanted to use 50 amp (NEMA14-50) outlet and so I'd use this 3 slotted adapter instead of the dryer one, stating that the car would know the amperage available was only 30 and only draw that. Is this true also? (any advantage or disadvantage to using a 3 slotted outlet with only the 30 available amps?

No issue using 30a if that is what is available ...the HPWC doesn’t make the battery any better ..battery longeivity is mainly around how u charge ...ie do u routinely charge to 100% and discharge below 10 etc ...there are many threads on this but sweet spot is keeping it approx 30-80 range

So job was a bit harder than he first thought but only because he had never installed one.
Charged 2 hours of labor.
$240 total.
50amp breaker.
Car is charging at 40amps.
Not bad at all.

I think mine is the most expensive ever reported here on the forum. I post this to make everyone feel better about how much they had to pay for their hookup.

$2950 for a NEMA 14-50 in my garage.
Two guys for nine hours over one day, one guy came back on two separate occasions for one hour each. 20 man hours total.
115 ft run between panel in house to detached garage.
Three holes to patch up in finished basement.
About 60 feet of new conduit shoved behind walls of the finished basement.
Installed a new subpanel in garage in addition to 14-50 outlet.