Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger overheat warning

My wall charger with a nema 14-50 pigtail, started to give me an overheat warning and reduced my charge rate from 40 amps to 30 amps. The Nema plug and cord are warm but not hot. I have been using this wall charger for the last 4 months at 40 amps with no problem. Only the last week where the garage is hot and humid did I notice it has started to overheat.
My question is, after it cools down in the garage will it return to the 40amp or will I have to reset the wall charger to allow it to charge at the 40 amp rate.

Phlier

Bluebird
Jun 12, 2019
Utah
My wall charger with a nema 14-50 pigtail, started to give me an overheat warning and reduced my charge rate from 40 amps to 30 amps. The Nema plug and cord are warm but not hot. I have been using this wall charger for the last 4 months at 40 amps with no problem. Only the last week where the garage is hot and humid did I notice it has started to overheat.
My question is, after it cools down in the garage will it return to the 40amp or will I have to reset the wall charger to allow it to charge at the 40 amp rate.
That's actually something to really be concerned about. There are quite a few stories of NEMA 14-50's getting seriously hot after they've been used quite a bit.

You really should take the above advice about doing a thorough inspection of as much of the circuit as you can get to safely.

Is it a Tesla factory 14-50 unit? Presumably it has a temp sensor in the plug, and that’s most likely issue. The contacts can be super hot and you wouldn’t really know since they’re hidden in the plug. Unplug it and inspect the prongs to see if they look OK, see how tight it fits in the plug. You can charge at full power for 30 minutes or so, and then stop it and unplug the 14-50 to see how hot the prongs are. If it’s super hot, replace the plug with a better one.

darth_vad3r

Well-Known Sith
May 6, 2019
Canada
Is it a Tesla factory 14-50 unit? Presumably it has a temp sensor in the plug, and that’s most likely issue. The contacts can be super hot and you wouldn’t really know since they’re hidden in the plug. Unplug it and inspect the prongs to see if they look OK, see how tight it fits in the plug. You can charge at full power for 30 minutes or so, and then stop it and unplug the 14-50 to see how hot the prongs are. If it’s super hot, replace the plug with a better one.

Agree with all this, but to be clear he means to replace the colloquial "plug" which is the outlet aka 14-50 receptacle in the wall with a better 14-50R receptacle (not the Tesla 14-50 adapter 'plug' attached to the Tesla MC).

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
Agree with all this, but to be clear he means to replace the colloquial "plug" which is the outlet aka 14-50 receptacle in the wall with a better 14-50R receptacle (not the Tesla 14-50 adapter 'plug' attached to the Tesla MC).
Yes, that is why in the terminology for buying electrical parts at a hardware store, they are referred to as 14-50P or 14-50R to designate whether it is the "plug" with the prongs sticking out of it, or the "receptacle", with the slotted holes in it.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC