Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger overheating again....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello! A few months ago I was getting three red lights while the car was charging but slowly. I installed new firmware and that did the trick. Started happening again today, logged online w/ the charger showed no new updates so did an offline update and resintalled firmware. Worked for about 20 minutes now its overheating again.

Anyone dealt with this lately?

Not lately but... my first one (which I bought a year ago) had an overheat issue, and I had no issue getting it exchanged. Pretty sure it was a known issue back then, and there were numerous reports of overheating, on the forum.

Since the swap-out (in September '20), never another issue.

Reactions: RNHurt
I have a "-F" model version gen 3 wall connector and it started giving me the 3 red lights. I emailed Tesla support and they pushed a firmware update to it and told me to reboot the connector and try again. After trying all that I was still getting 3 red lights so I called them. While I was on the phone the technician went through some debugging processes and confirmed that my connector was overheating that that they would replace it. I should get the new connector early next week; I have to replace the front panel and send it back to them.

The debugging process was kinda neat. The technician could tell how hot the wall connector (104°C) and the handle (42°C) were getting. The determined that this was too high so they replaced it. Apparently, they could access the charging history from the connector as well. Kinda creepy really, if you think about it. o_O

Lowering the maximum charging amperage, if it works, would be a temporary fix. If lowering the amperage does not resolve the issue then you would have to look into what else might be causing the charging interruption. Besides, lowering the amperage is arguably safer than wrapping a damp cloth around the charging connector.

Reactions: cwerdna
I have a "-F" model version gen 3 wall connector and it started giving me the 3 red lights. I emailed Tesla support and they pushed a firmware update to it and told me to reboot the connector and try again. After trying all that I was still getting 3 red lights so I called them. While I was on the phone the technician went through some debugging processes and confirmed that my connector was overheating that that they would replace it. I should get the new connector early next week; I have to replace the front panel and send it back to them.

The debugging process was kinda neat. The technician could tell how hot the wall connector (104°C) and the handle (42°C) were getting. The determined that this was too high so they replaced it. Apparently, they could access the charging history from the connector as well. Kinda creepy really, if you think about it. o_O
Thanks, I’m gonna call them today and see what they can do. We gave up privacy when we bought these cars but they are so fun to drive I’m cool with it!

It's not creepy... you can do it too. http://<IP address of wall connector>/api/1/lifetime

It makes trouble shooting really easy.
Yes, I just found this out and built a simple Grafana dashboard to keep track of it!
1627728437912.png