Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Reads 2 Volts, 110 Volt charger works fine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just went out to check my 2018 Model 3 and I notice the battery level hasn't changed. Light on the wall charger is glowing solid but the cars's screen is showing 2 Volts and not surprisingly the charge current is therefore showing 0. Tried the 110 V wall charger and it works fine. Circuit breaker is fine, again not surprising because the light on the wall charger is on, but I flipped it off then back on figuring this might reset the wall charger. No effect.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Time to call Tesla and get that warranty-replaced. Last one I worked on that had those symptoms had a defective relay(contactor) in the wall charger. I'm assuming that's a Gen3, which is probably a bad assumption.

Do you hear the relays click when it tries to start charging? Is there any message on the car's screen? A red T?

I hear the relay click, the lights on the wall charger start rolling, then the relay clicks again and the lights go back to static green. When I use the 110 V charger the light start scrolling when I plug the car in. So it appears the wall charger tries to get going, something fails and it gives up.

How do I tell what generation the wall charger is? The Gen2 and Gen3 look the same in the pictures on the Tesla site but I'm guessing the Gen3 has a white glassy front while the Gen2 front is grey. If so then mine is a Gen2.

I hear the relay click, the lights on the wall charger start rolling, then the relay clicks again and the lights go back to static green. When I use the 110 V charger the light start scrolling when I plug the car in. So it appears the wall charger tries to get going, something fails and it gives up.

How do I tell what generation the wall charger is? The Gen2 and Gen3 look the same in the pictures on the Tesla site but I'm guessing the Gen3 has a white glassy front while the Gen2 front is grey. If so then mine is a Gen2.
Yes, the Gen3 has a white glassy front, and is slightly smaller. It also had serious relay overheating problems until units made a few months ago.

The diagnosis is largely the same, its just probably much less likely to be covered under warranty due to the Gen2's age. It could also be something as simple as a bad connection to the high voltage lines, either inside the wall connector or at the charge handle. Might want to have a good look at the charge handle, and maybe pop the cover off the wall connector and see if its burned smelling inside(which is never a good thing)

I also forgot about the monster fuses in the Gen2... Tesla 80A Wall Connector diagram?