Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Speed for Full Charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question, does the Wall Charger slow down when charging above 90% ? I have always gotten 48/48 in the past but always stopped at 90%. Today I am charging to 100% because I have a trip tomorrow and as soon as it got above 90% it started slowing down but still green lights. Is this normal ?

...as soon as it got above 90% it started slowing down but still green lights. Is this normal ?

Yes. It slows down both at Supercharger and at home as the battery approaching 100%.

The Battery Management System would monitor the cells' ability to take in the energy and it adjusts the speed accordingly based on some factors such as state of charge, temperature...

Completely normal, and the same, be it wall connector at max amperage, 14-50, or supercharging.
Yes, it is the same tapering curve.
But people sometimes misunderstand this, because they see the tapering at a Supercharger, but never see it at home, so they think it doesn't happen. It's just the difference in power levels. When Supercharging, you see the kilowatts coming down and down from 100+, to 80, 50, 30, etc. But think about that. 30kW is still way more power than you are getting at home, where it's more like 10kW. It would just have to get filled to over 90%+ before you would ever see the tapering have to lower the rate below 10kW.

Quick question, does the Wall Charger slow down when charging above 90% ? I have always gotten 48/48 in the past but always stopped at 90%. Today I am charging to 100% because I have a trip tomorrow and as soon as it got above 90% it started slowing down but still green lights. Is this normal ?
I’ve noticed it start to drop from 48/48 around 93-94%. Lowest I remember seeing was 6a at 99%. Granted I have only charged above 90% a handful of times.

Reactions: mcorf