Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger tripping adjacent Breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a weird situation. The past two times I’ve charged my Model Y overnight, the gfci breaker right across from the Wall charger breaker has tripped. I charged my Model X with no issues.

It’s strange. Why would the 20 amp GFCI breaker tripp? It only trips if I charge the Y. Could the heat from the 60 amp breaker cause the breaker across to get to hot and trip? I don’t have a problem with dropping my wall charger down to 50 amps. I’m going to measure the heat next time and post that.

How old is the GFCI breaker? It would be my first suspect. I have trouble seeing how the 60a breaker could get hot enough to bother it without getting so hot that it tripped itself. Is this a subpanel or the main panel? Sometimes the neutral in a subpanel is bonded to ground when it shouldn't be. That can cause all sorts of strange behaviors. What's on the GFCI circuit? Could it be tripping legitimately, and the fact that the car is charging just be a coincidence?

Reactions: rockinshoe
How old is the GFCI breaker? It would be my first suspect. I have trouble seeing how the 60a breaker could get hot enough to bother it without getting so hot that it tripped itself. Is this a subpanel or the main panel? Sometimes the neutral in a subpanel is bonded to ground when it shouldn't be. That can cause all sorts of strange behaviors. What's on the GFCI circuit? Could it be tripping legitimately, and the fact that the car is charging just be a coincidence?
It’s the main panel. It’s the strangest thing I’ve seen! The breaker is about a yr old. I replaced it because the original one went bad and it was almost 10 yrs old. It’s an Eaton 20 GFCI/AFCI breaker. I’ve read that the QC for these breakers aren’t the best. I hate that because it’s $70.

It’s the main panel. It’s the strangest thing I’ve seen! The breaker is about a yr old. I replaced it because the original one went bad and it was almost 10 yrs old. It’s an Eaton 20 GFCI/AFCI breaker. I’ve read that the QC for these breakers aren’t the best. I hate that because it’s $70.
Move the breaker up or down 2 spots. Swap it with something else on that side of the panel, non GCFI. Wires may reach as is. See if that eliminates the problem.
The charger breaker will get fairly warm at 48A and the GFCI is probably sensitive to that.

Move the breaker up or down 2 spots. Swap it with something else on that side of the panel, non GCFI. Wires may reach as is. See if that eliminates the problem.
The charger breaker will get fairly warm at 48A and the GFCI is probably sensitive to that.
This is what I thought about doing. My wall charger install used the last free area on my breaker. I’m going to move the GFCI breaker and monitor. It’s strange because I had no issue charging the model X.

Reactions: golferguy
73546F06-B4C0-454E-AC06-DD9F334507E6.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
The only thing that comes to mind is a poor connection causing the heat build up and could be that current was reduced enough to keep the breaker from tripping with the excess heat? or a nick in the wires when insulation was stripped could also limit current and lead to heat build up.
I will add that panel is original 150 amp panel. In this great state of Texas, they put them outside so panel looks like it’s been through WW3. Panel is 31 yrs old. I should’ve had the panel replaced for for this install.

By the way, the voltage at the charger used to read between 229-237 v and about 114-118 v on each leg.

My panel will need to be replaced. I sent pictures to my other electrician and he agreed. I needed a new

You have some tape on one of the hot legs which suggest there could be some strands nicked and it definitely can cause the problem you are experiencing but it never hurt to put a new panel in and good that this is a surface mount panel it will be a pc of cake to switch out, I like a panel with a solid copper bus bar like this one

Reactions: sleepydoc
You have some tape on one of the hot legs which suggest there could be some strands nicked and it definitely can cause the problem you are experiencing but it never hurt to put a new panel in and good that this is a surface mount panel it will be a pc of cake to switch out, I like a panel with a solid copper bus bar like this one

I’ve seen them replace my neighbors panel and it was done in a day. Out last house had the panel replaced before we bought it. What do they put them outside in the elements?

The electrician told me what kind he was installing but I forgot. I knew it was something we needed eventually when we bought the house. I was hoping I could get one more year out of it. Better safe than sorry when messing with electricity.

Reactions: sleepydoc
About 2 weeks. No error lights on the wall charger.
It looks like the breaker melted at the bus bar connection, so I'm wondering whether the exposed bus bar there had become weathered/corroded/dirty over the years. I'm surprised that the 60-amp breaker didn't trip thermally if it was radiating enough heat to trip the GFCI breaker next to it!

Glad you caught it!