Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger v3 50 amp to 60 amp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you may need to have a disconnect box beside the charger for the 60A. That's how it is for my area anyway.

Interesting. I was going to say that page 7 of the installation instructions says "NOTE: External disconnect switches are neither required nor recommended", then I saw that you were in Canada. Maybe it's different up there

Pop quiz: where in the US can you drive South and end up in Canada?

Please be careful with blindly accepting that, I’d want to get the electrician to say he used 4 awg wire, unless that’s clearly documented on your receipt.
6 awg îs fine for the 48 amp continuous of the Wall Connector. Our city specifically allows it for a direct connect since the device cannot pull more than those amps. 6awg thhn is fine and even recommended by Tesla for the Wall Connector unless some area requires a larger gauge wire.

My friend had a v3 charger installed and commissioned for maximum power output (11kW / 48 amps). The documentation recommended a 60 amp circuit, but the electrician only had a 50 amp breaker. He charged his car at full power for many hours before the electrician returned and replaced the 50 amp breaker with a 60 amp breaker. The 50 amp breaker never tripped (it only saw 48 amps). This is not a recommendation, just information. The wire was properly sized for a 60 amps circuit.

My friend had a v3 charger installed and commissioned for maximum power output (11kW / 48 amps). The documentation recommended a 60 amp circuit, but the electrician only had a 50 amp breaker. He charged his car at full power for many hours before the electrician returned and replaced the 50 amp breaker with a 60 amp breaker. The 50 amp breaker never tripped (it only saw 48 amps). This is not a recommendation, just information. The wire was properly sized for a 60 amps circuit.
Most breakers are designed to handle 80% of their peak amperage rating on a continuous basis. So a 50A breaker is designed to handle 40A of continuous current as is required while charging an EV. I’m surprised the breaker didn’t trip. I recommend not installing and using a 50A breaker for a 60A circuit, even if the draw is only 48A.

Most breakers are designed to handle 80% of their peak amperage rating on a continuous basis. So a 50A breaker is designed to handle 40A of continuous current as is required while charging an EV. I’m surprised the breaker didn’t trip. I recommend not installing and using a 50A breaker for a 60A circuit, even if the draw is only 48A.
Not to split hairs, but breakers are designed to handle 100% of their rated current continuously per the UL standards. But the NEC calls for 80% derating for continuous loads. Again, I'm just telling a story here about my friends experience, not making a recommendation.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Not to split hairs, but breakers are designed to handle 100% of their rated current continuously per the UL standards. But the NEC calls for 80% derating for continuous loads. Again, I'm just telling a story here about my friends experience, not making a recommendation.
Yeah, I think NEC derates wires and breakers to account for potentially operating at a temperature above the design ambient range that has an upper edge of 86 deg F.