Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm new to this forum. My lightly used 2016 Model S 75 is arriving any day now. I am a newbie when it comes to anything Tesla related. I ordered the Wall Connector so that I can charge at home and contacted one of Tesla preferred/recommended electricians. I asked how much charge I would be able to get for my Tesla. The electrician said that for my Tesla I could get about 30 miles per hour of charge. I told him that my neighbor has a Model X 75 and that he's getting about 50 miles per charge from his Wall Connector. The electrician said that that is impossible because the only Teslas that could get 50mi/hour are the 100s (Model S 100 or Model X 100). My hunch is that this Tesla preferred electrician doesn't know what he is taking about. Am I correct? Can my Wall Connector charge my Model S 75 at 50mi/hour? Thanks for your help and so sorry for the long initial message!

Your electrician is incorrect, it really depends on your electrical setup at home.

I'm using a 240v 50A setup, and that charges at 30 miles per hour... but say you were able to setup 80A - that will get you to 50 miles per hour for sure!

Also need to have dual chargers in your car.

Per Tesla's website on Wall Charger info, "For Model S or Model X equipped with the standard on-board charger (48A), install the Wall Connector with a 60 amp circuit breaker for optimal charging". My question then becomes is 60A enough to get 50mi/hour via the Wall Charger? Or do I need 80A or higher?

Here’s a chart that was in a document Tesla sent me shortly after I placed my order.

30 miles/hr is reasonable for a Model S at 50A...... but according to this, it would require around 100A to charge a model X at 50 miles/hour. I’m sure people have such an installation, but I don’t believe it would be common.....

Best of luck with delivery of your new Tesla!

Attachments

• B1F03FB0-347C-4801-BF1B-BD4C99ECC850.jpeg
    B1F03FB0-347C-4801-BF1B-BD4C99ECC850.jpeg
    337.8 KB · Views: 63
I don't think a 60A breaker will get you to 50 mi/hr.... because remember, the 60A will supply less to the vehicle (closer to 50A probably).

My 50A breaker supplies 40A to the car. You will probably need 80A...

There was a nice table that broke it down - hold on let me try to find it.

EDIT: Looks like Brettski beat me to the punch with the table :)

The key variable here is which charger is installed in the car you're buying. The default option for your vintage Model S 75 was a 48 amp charger. If you combine that with a Tesla High Power Wall Connector (HPWC) on a 60 amp circuit, you will get a max of about 34 miles per hour. Using the included mobile connector on a 50 amp NEMA 14-50 outlet will give you about 29 miles per hour.

IF and only if your car includes the upgraded 72 amp charging option (which I believe was a $1500 option), then you can pair that with a High Power Wall Connector on a 90+ amp circuit and charge at ~52 miles per hour.

Your electrician is correct with respect to cars currently being produced - the only way to get the 72 amp charger on a new vehicle is to select the 100 kwh battery.

Last edited:
It's currently a MS60 delivered late 2016 (Sept/Oct). My plan is to upgrade to 75 when I get it later this week. Is this gonna be a problem for me then? I bought if from a dealer and it's getting shipped from out of state to my home in California.

Define "problem". Do you need 50+ mile/hour home charging for your use case? (hint: most people don't)

I would assume the car you bought has a 48 amp charger until proven otherwise. I don't think the take rate was particularly high on the $1500 charger upgrade.

I don't know what charger is in the car, or if it's 48a or 72a...sorry to ask a stupid question but when my car arrives where can I find this info? regarding the "problem" I'm referring to: I just want to make sure that I can get 50mi/hour charge with the Wall Charger. I can't rely on my wife to charge every night and we will be sharing the vehicle which is why I need something at home that charges quickly.

I don't know what charger is in the car, or if it's 48a or 72a...sorry to ask a stupid question but when my car arrives where can I find this info? regarding the "problem" I'm referring to: I just want to make sure that I can get 50mi/hour charge with the Wall Charger. I can't rely on my wife to charge every night and we will be sharing the vehicle which is why I need something at home that charges quickly.
The only way to get 50+mph to charge your 75 is:
1) have dual chargers
2) Wall Charger needs to be on a 90 or 100amp breaker (more expensive)

The only way to get 50+mph to charge your 75 is:
1) have dual chargers
2) Wall Charger needs to be on a 90 or 100amp breaker (more expensive)

So a Wall Charger with 100A breaker with 48A on MS75 won't get to about 50mi/hour? It has to have dual chargers? I read somewhere that they did away with option of having dual chargers. Or am I wrong? My Model S is was production 2016 (Sept/Oct).

So a Wall Charger with 100A breaker with 48A on MS75 won't get to about 50mi/hour? It has to have dual chargers? I read somewhere that they did away with option of having dual chargers. Or am I wrong? My Model S is was production 2016 (Sept/Oct).

Correct. The most you’ll get with a 48A single onboard charger is about 33mph. If your car only has one 48A charger it will only charge up to 48A no matter how high the Wall Charger is set and what breaker it’s on.

For example my 75D has single 48amp charger and my HPWC is on a 60amp breaker which after line losses is about 48amps to the car.

Yes the newer cars either have 48amp chargers or 72amp. Older ones (pre 2016 I believe) had either a single 48amp or two 48amp chargers.

Correct. The most you’ll get with a 48A single onboard charger is about 33mph. If your car only has one 48A charger it will only charge up to 48A no matter how high the Wall Charger is set and what breaker it’s on.

For example my 75D has single 48amp charger and my HPWC is on a 60amp breaker which after line losses is about 48amps to the car.

Yes the newer cars either have 48amp chargers or 72amp. Older ones (pre 2016 I believe) had either a single 48amp or two 48amp chargers.
Note that the 48 amps you are getting isn’t ‘line losses’, it’s code maximum. You can only use 80% of the circuit for a charging circuit since it’s a ‘continuous’ load. See Flasher’s FAQ thread in my sig for much more.

As said above the real question here is the hardware in the car. The HPWC is only a conduit for power from the house to the car, as the.car can’t charge more than the hardware in the car will allow. The electrician for once was correct. :D