Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct. The most you’ll get with a 48A single onboard charger is about 33mph. If your car only has one 48A charger it will only charge up to 48A no matter how high the Wall Charger is set and what breaker it’s on.

For example my 75D has single 48amp charger and my HPWC is on a 60amp breaker which after line losses is about 48amps to the car.

Yes the newer cars either have 48amp chargers or 72amp. Older ones (pre 2016 I believe) had either a single 48amp or two 48amp chargers.
And older cars had a single 40 or two 40s.

Reactions: gavine
My early (pre-refresh) 2016 S90D has two 40 amp chargers. I have an HPWC on a 100 amp circuit that can charge the car at 80 amps. I usually charge at 50 amps which splits the current between the two chargers at 25 amps each.

The point is that we need to know exactly what you have to know what is possible. My first car had one charger and charged at 40 amps. It was never a problem.

If you end up having a single 40A charger in the car and want faster charging, you can add a second charger to the car which could get you close to 60 MPH, assuming you have a 100A circuit with proper wire size and the HPWC dialed to 100 amps.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
so my Sept 2016 MS60 will either have 48amp or 72amp depending on what first owner bought, correct?

Correct..upgrade at Service center is about $2k....when u get car on charging screen bottom right you will see max amps you can set to ..if only goes to 48a than that’s what you have ... newer cars have software upgradeable charger but I believe one you got you need hardware ...typically I have seen smaller batteries have 48a Charger ...if you want faster charging just stop at Santa Ana SC it’s real close to you ;)... either way you can always future proof install by putting in 100a circuit in breaker panel provided you have space the costs differential in materials is not much. Don’t let electrician upcharge you you can always buy material yourself and just pay labor

FWIW, I charge my S100D, with the 72A onboard charger, at 25A every night. I primarily do it because I still have 100A service to my house and don't want to worry about going too much over 50% utilization with the central air running (it's a new higher SEER unit). I have it set to start at 1AM and it's done in a couple hours, topping me up from ~60mi of commuting daily.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, in practice the use cases for high-amperage home charging are few and far between - unless, of course, you routinely travel hundreds of miles a day and only sleep for a couple hours a night. In that case, there's superchargers (and lots of coffee, haha).

...sorry to ask a stupid question but when my car arrives where can I find this info?

Click on the charging lightning bolt on the top of the center screen when it is NOT plugged into any sort of charging cable.

Down towards the bottom right of the screen, it will say a "charging amps" number. Unless it was set down at that location, it will default to the max charging rate. You can hit the up arrow above the number and see the max the car is capable.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
Correct..upgrade at Service center is about $2k....when u get car on charging screen bottom right you will see max amps you can set to ..if only goes to 48a than that’s what you have ... newer cars have software upgradeable charger but I believe one you got you need hardware ...typically I have seen smaller batteries have 48a Charger ...if you want faster charging just stop at Santa Ana SC it’s real close to you ;)... either way you can always future proof install by putting in 100a circuit in breaker panel provided you have space the costs differential in materials is not much. Don’t let electrician upcharge you you can always buy material yourself and just pay labor

Great! I’ll have the electrician put in a 100A circuit breaker. I believe my home which is around 10 years old should have enough room.

The OP looks like he got a S60 with the software limited 75 battery ..most likely he has single 48a Charger

Yes, you are correct it’s a S60 late production 2016 model with software limited 75 battery. I called to confirm at my local Tesla service center and they said mine would likely need hardware update if I wanted a higher charger and would cost $1900. I’ll upgrade to 75 battery but will skip the higher charger option but will definitely have a 100A circuit breaker.

Since you are doing a Wall Connector ..even though you don’t have larger onboard charger I would go with largest breaker ur house can handle 90-100a breaker ..that way you are future proofed ..I’m not sure of your situation in terms of wire run (how far) etc though ...

Since you are doing a Wall Connector ..even though you don’t have larger onboard charger I would go with largest breaker ur house can handle 90-100a breaker ..that way you are future proofed ..I’m not sure of your situation in terms of wire run (how far) etc though ...

I generally think future proof is overrated, depending on cost. I'd put in a few $100 more for a larger breaker and wiring, but I wouldn't go overboard.

Diff in material costs is about double from a 50a circuit /wiring to a 90-100a circuit /wiring ...its the labor and cutting of walls etc that you don’t want to do twice ....but in general 48a max charge from wall connector is plenty good ...I myself have 100a circuit but normal set charge to around 40a and have enough time to charge my battery (P100) .. reason I went larger is my run is less than 2feet ;)

Reactions: Bunnak
As was mentioned once, another reason to max out at 100 amps is the future possibility of having more than one Wall Connector to share the circuit in load balance mode if you have two cars. Then the major part of the installation (the large circuit) is already done.

And if anyone ever needs to find Flasher’s FAQ, the thread is linked in my sig :D.

Reactions: P85_DA and Bunnak