Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am getting the referral wall charger for my 2018 75D, What do I need to tell the electrician I need to have done?
I'm also considering what to do with the referral wall charger. I have zero (negative?) experience with electrical stuff. But my garage does have a 220v outlet that I currently use for charging. Can that be re-purposed for the wall charger, or is mounting the wall charger a more involved project? What benefit does the wall charger offer over the standard 220v plug (besides the obvious, extra coolness)? Is there a thread on this somewhere so I don't needlessly waste y'alls time with stupid questions? Thanks in advance.

You can repurpose existing wire for wall connector ..depending on what your current breaker is ,wiring size and what onboard charger you have in car will determine how fast you will be able to charge ...note the charger is in your car the wall connector is just a hard wired version of your UMC ...I recommend reading Flashers sticky in charging standards —> North America section

Reactions: yo mama
I'm also considering what to do with the referral wall charger. I have zero (negative?) experience with electrical stuff. But my garage does have a 220v outlet that I currently use for charging. Can that be re-purposed for the wall charger, or is mounting the wall charger a more involved project? What benefit does the wall charger offer over the standard 220v plug (besides the obvious, extra coolness)? Is there a thread on this somewhere so I don't needlessly waste y'alls time with stupid questions? Thanks in advance.
See my sig for a quick link to Flasher's FAQ on charging and a lot more.

One of the major advantages of the HPWC (now called the WC (Wall Connector) or TWC (Tesla Wall Connector)) is that it's a dedicated connection that leaves your UMC (the connector that came with the car) in the car and has no plugs to remove and re-insert to the power perhaps everyday. It also has a longer cord that is good for a car perhaps in the driveway or across the garage. All conveniences... Up to you what all that is worth.