Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Chargers, why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why get a wall charger?
I'm rather early in my consideration of getting an EV. Thinking through logistics, setting up home charging....
Based on the internet/youtube research I've seen it seems that wall chargers only slightly increase charge speed.

Also, looking at the non-Tesla branded ones (chargepoint, juice box, bosch, clipper creek, etc..) it seems a lot of them thought various "smart" functions, wifi ability,etc... although i really don't understand the point of any of that.... doesn't the charger onboard the car take care of that stuff? Can't you even program the car to charge itself on a schedule or target?

so, other than having a perhaps neater looking install, is there any practical reason to get something like one of those vs just installing a NEMA 14-50 outlet?

Reactions: CO_MY
You are correct, the benefits of the wall charger are pretty minor. I actually have two of them, so I can speak from experience:
-Cleaner looking install (especially with the short cable version)
-Lets you keep the mobile charger in your car at all times (you don't have to remember to pack it before a trip) (however, I've never actually used the mobile charger on a trip, lol)
-If you have an older Model S or X with a 72-amp or 80-amp on-board charger, AND an older wall charger, AND a high-amperage circuit, then you can charge quite a bit faster than the mobile connector, however, if you are charging overnight, it really doesn't matter.

I admit these are all minor things. If you want to save money, just install a NEMA 14-50 and use the mobile connector. The 14-50 will also support a non-tesla charger if you ever find yourself with a non-Tesla EV in the future. A Tesla wall connector can only charge a non-Tesla EV using an adapter.

If you think you might use two chargers at once and want to load share them on the same breaker, the HPWCs can do that. Currently, the Gen 2 HPWCs do it with a communication cable. The Gen 3s are promised to do it via WiFi, but that functionality is not yet available.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric