Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charging Unit - Security (Can it be stolen?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So let me just start by apologizing for my potential lack of knowledge on this topic... it may very well be a simple answer. Anyways, we are considering installing a charger at our office as we now have 3 employees with Tesla's. The charger will be located outside (under an overhang) so there is concern that one day we will show up and someone will somehow nab it off the wall in the hopes of scoring a few bucks. Is this even possible? Would they literally just get electrocuted?

Please let me know if anyone has any insight on this!

Assuming you mean a HPWC, the HPWC is bolted into the wall. Unless you have a screwdriver and don't mind playing around with live voltage (!!!), it won't go anywhere.

A UMC can be stolen. If it's plugged into a Tesla, you can't steal the main piece, but can steal the 'pigtail' (NEMA 14-50 plug, NEMA 5-15 plug, etc) attached to the base of the UMC.

• Informative
Reactions: BZM3
Could it be stolen? Sure. Chances of it being stolen, not so much. You would need the security torx bit to get the cover off to get to the wiring. It could be cut if wearing protective gloves, but would still need to be unscrewed from the wall.

• Informative
There are threads with people putting a big locked box around the wall connector unit AND the cable part. It protects against someone stealing the unit and also prevent against someone stealing your electricity by unauthorized charging if that's what you want.

There are screws on the cover that take a special tool to install and remove. The tool bit is included and I have taped it to my HPWC in case I need access in the future. Yep I just walked out to check. It is a torx with a hole in the driver bit that goes over the security pin on the screw head. So someone with normal tools can't open the cover. Unless they spent $7 at HF. 33 Pc Security Bit Set Of course a prybar could break the cover off, a quick jab with a screw driver across the wires would blow the breaker and allow it to be removed. They are in hotel parking lots etc etc. If you had a secure locked box made for the entire unit or one that the cable plug could be secured in could prevent theft of the unit or electricity by a sneaky after hours Tesla owners. Be sure to get the 24 foot cable, same price as the 8 foot and you wouldn't have to move cars to the charger.

There are screws on the cover that take a special tool to install and remove. The tool bit is included and I have taped it to my HPWC in case I need access in the future. Yep I just walked out to check. It is a torx with a hole in the driver bit that goes over the security pin on the screw head. So someone with normal tools can't open the cover. Unless they spent $7 at HF. 33 Pc Security Bit Set Of course a prybar could break the cover off, a quick jab with a screw driver across the wires would blow the breaker and allow it to be removed. They are in hotel parking lots etc etc. If you had a secure locked box made for the entire unit or one that the cable plug could be secured in could prevent theft of the unit or electricity by a sneaky after hours Tesla owners. Be sure to get the 24 foot cable, same price as the 8 foot and you wouldn't have to move cars to the charger.
There are threads with people putting a big locked box around the wall connector unit AND the cable part. It protects against someone stealing the unit and also prevent against someone stealing your electricity by unauthorized charging if that's what you want.
Both helpful posts, thank's a lot. When out in LA I saw a ton of the HPWC's out in the open at various cafe's and hotels so figured it's not a huge concern or a widespread issue. The box sounds like a good strategy for extra precaution.

Both helpful posts, thank's a lot. When out in LA I saw a ton of the HPWC's out in the open at various cafe's and hotels so figured it's not a huge concern or a widespread issue. The box sounds like a good strategy for extra precaution.
There is always the possibility of meth heads chopping off the cable. Friend with a locomotive had the $30,000 motor wires cut off for $40 of scrap. Neighbor had $2,000 diesel injection tubing cut off an irrigation pump that was worth $0.00 of steel scrap. Can't they even check with a magnet?

We have HPWC units all over Ontario, and I haven’t seen any of them stolen, or even vandalized.
I think the market for a used non warranty HPWC is low.
Also, trying to sell one to a Tesla owner would be risky. There aren’t many for sale, so the seller would run risk of running into the original owner.....
I would think you’re okay.

• Informative
We have HPWC units all over Ontario, and I haven’t seen any of them stolen, or even vandalized.
I think the market for a used non warranty HPWC is low.
Also, trying to sell one to a Tesla owner would be risky. There aren’t many for sale, so the seller would run risk of running into the original owner.....
I would think you’re okay.

Yeah, no black market for EV parts.

You have the rims on the car that can be removed and can be sold to their friends, as well as the car itself whose battery you could remove.

I would say vandalism. I wouldn’t think there is enough copper in that short cable to amount to any significant money.

What is not significant to you might be significant to someone else. It is not a trivial amount of copper. Also, if adding it to a pile of stolen copper, then it is just one more wire.

80 amp is possibly #3 wire, approx .2 lbs per ft, x23 ft, $2 scrap price that makes $10 for a wire, times 2 wires (inside of the rubber there are 2 large wires) = about $20.

Last edited: