Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Cable - Gen 1 cable on Gen 2 HPWC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just moved into a new home and eager to get a Wall Connector. However, the 24 foot HPWC is out of stock and only the 8 foot HPWC is available. My friend has a generation 1 HPWC with the 24 foot cable that he’s offered to give me. Can I use the generation 1 cable on a generation 2 HPWC?

Sorry, neglected to mention that the Gen 1 HPWC isn’t working.
Oh. Well, that's a rather important point.

Yes, you can probably remove the long cable from the non-working HPWC and install it on a new Gen2 Wall Connector that has the short cable. Before removing the cable, I would probably check all the connections inside the non-working one just in case there is some obvious reason that it's not working. Also open both units side by side and make sure that the cables have the same color and number of wires coming out of the vehicle cable before you take it apart further.

GIven the cost of the 8ft model is the same as the 24ft and the warranty problems with modifying the brand new wall connector, I'd just wait for the right unit to get back in stock. In the meantime, wire up a 14-50 (or 6-50) and use a 50a breaker with your mobile connector until it gets in stock. The Tesla store is known for things going in and out of stock quickly.

You can always try; however, there may be an incompatibility. I say this because the description for this parted-out plug/cable assembly from QC Charge Power states, several times in uppercase underlined text, that this Gen2 cable does not work with the Gen1 HPWC. You're trying to go the other way, and the description for the cable I've referenced doesn't explain what the incompatibility is, so it's not clear if the Gen1 cable is incompatible with the Gen2 HPWC "box." I suppose you could always call QC Charge Power, but they might not be eager to discuss it with you unless it meant you'd buy something from them.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H