Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector [Can a wall connector be disconnected and taken with you when you move?]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
planning on installing a new wall connector in my home but I plan on selling and moving to another home in about 3y, can the wall connector be uninstalled and reinstalled in another home?
Yes it can be, I'm not sure if this might be the case for you in the U.S but here in Canada. When you are selling the property with EV infrastructures already there it does add to the appealing factor more likely someone will buy it. Sort of makes your home "Ready for the Future" sort of speak. On top of that I believe it will add $ value to the home too.

Upvote 0
Yes. Pretty easy to uninstall.

At 3 years and considering cost of a new house and cost of installation, might just want a new one anyway.

Hopefully they become more standard as time marches on.
The current standard is a 120V 20A outlet in the garage not shared with anything else.

If 240V charging becomes typical in new houses, the most likely standard is an outlet that a plug-in EVSE can be put on, followed by a J1772 EVSE.

Upvote 0
IMO, if you want to take the EV charging hardware with you in the future, make sure to...

1) Remove the EV charging hardware so it is not visible in any listing photos. And make sure it is not installed during home tours / open-house visits.
2) If the hardware remains installed during the home sale process, describe the charger in the disclosures. You'll want to disclose that the EV charger is not included in the sale even though it may appear to be a fixture.

Keep in mind that if you don't do the above two steps, then these are the standard tests to determine if something in the home is a fixture (and should transfer to the new buyer):

Method of attachment:
If tools are needed to attach the item to the property, then it’s typically considered a fixture.

Adaptability:
For instance, an installed toilet is expected to stay as part of the house if it was in place during the home listing and sales process.

Relationship of the parties:
In a buyer/seller relationship this would usually mean the buyer expects fixtures that are attached to be included in the sale. As opposed to a landlord/tenant relationship, when a tenant installs a shelf, it typically goes with them and the landlord doesn’t expect it to stay as part of the property.

Intention:
When the object was originally attached was it supposed to be temporary or permanent? If a reasonable person would interpret that the intention for the item is to be permanent, then it would usually be considered a fixture.

Agreement:
Do the buyer and seller have anything in writing describing whether or not the item will be included or excluded in the sale?

Upvote 0
2) If the hardware remains installed during the home sale process, describe the charger in the disclosures. You'll want to disclose that the EV charger is not included in the sale even though it may appear to be a fixture.
I'm sure that's all wonderful advice, but honestly, if throwing in a used wall connector is going to make the sale, you're better off just buying a new one for $400.

Reactions: brkaus and ATPMSD
Upvote 0
I'm sure that's all wonderful advice, but honestly, if throwing in a used wall connector is going to make the sale, you're better off just buying a new one for $400.

Yeah, but I just assume everyone is petty lol. Even if homes are all overpriced by like millions, people will get picky over weird stuff.

My former neighbor ran into a SNAFU when he tried to take his gas grill after the sale of his home. The buyer said it was a a "built-in" since...
1) it fit in the dedicated opening of the finished back yard kitchenette area.
2) The grill was connected to a fixed plumbing / natural gas line.

Of course my previous neighbor was like 'wtf it's got wheels and isn't welded or bolted in place???'. But he'd need tools to detach the gas line. Plus, the grill was in staged listing photos without a "doesn't come with the house" placard. So even his agent was like "just leave this BBQ grill...".

Reactions: Electrph
Upvote 0
Yeah, but I just assume everyone is petty lol. Even if homes are all overpriced by like millions, people will get picky over weird stuff.

My former neighbor ran into a SNAFU when he tried to take his gas grill after the sale of his home. The buyer said it was a a "built-in" since...
1) it fit in the dedicated opening of the finished back yard kitchenette area.
2) The grill was connected to a fixed plumbing / natural gas line.

Of course my previous neighbor was like 'wtf it's got wheels and isn't welded or bolted in place???'. But he'd need tools to detach the gas line. Plus, the grill was in staged listing photos without a "doesn't come with the house" placard. So even his agent was like "just leave this BBQ grill...".
Agree …I’m chuckling right now thinking of all the petty things I have seen buyers and occasionally sellers dig their heels in over on relatively pricey home sales in CA 🤣
i think some ppl get into that “I have to win” mentality and lose all grasp of common sense

Upvote 0