Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector cannot be configured on this network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lowtek

Jan 2, 2020
Alabama, USA
I have two Gen3 wall connectors that charge fine but suddenly I get this message when browsing to their IP address:

Wall Connector cannot be configured on this network. Please follow installation instructions on tesla.com/wallconnector

Anybody else see this? Perhaps a firmware update, not sure if it enabled or broke the wifi power sharing.

The "Summary" page is missing after the upgrade around the first week of January. Since they are automatically upgraded, you can't see the version anymore, plus other status information on the summary page, without attaching to the Wall Connector using WiFi direct to the connector as explained in the initial "Commissioning" procedure.

Tesla mobile service coming to my house tomorrow for this issue. As instructed by Tech, I sent an email 2 weeks ago to Tesla: [email protected].
Of course, no response received from that email. I informed service of the lack of response. We'll see what happens tomorrow. They need to put the "Summary" back on the wall connector web response. Note: this updated a new selection whether you only want to charge Teslas, or any vehicle -- probably in preparation for Tesla billing when the connector is installed as a destination charger for payment per session.

I have two Gen3 wall connectors that charge fine but suddenly I get this message when browsing to their IP address:

Wall Connector cannot be configured on this network. Please follow installation instructions on tesla.com/wallconnector

Anybody else see this? Perhaps a firmware update, not sure if it enabled or broke the wifi power sharing.
Yes, this is consistent across lots of people. I don’t think it impacted the actual capabilities of the wall connector; just your ability to see the summary page from a web browser. We’ll see, but likely it was deliberate to force people to access the wall connector through the documented process, perhaps for security or some future feature.

• Disagree
Reactions: DerbyDave
The Wall Connector Summary page does not allow any configuration changes, but is a summary of it's current configuration. This is important when you have red lights or other anomolies on your Wall Connector. When the Tesla App, or Wall Connector is not working correctly, it is important to view the current configuration, and its version, in case an update causes a problem. In fact, my wall connector was not working correctly after the recent update, and I couldn't get to it to find out why. I needed to jump through hoops just to see its configuration and version number (putting it in broadcast mode to broadcast the SSID, and attach to it, and enter into configuration mode just to see its status). This is not security, it is error.

Last edited:
No, it is a new Tesla "feature" that even when you configure it on the local network, there is very little information you can get from it unless you reboot it, attach to it using WiFi Direct and selecting the connector as an "available network", and then accessing it through a browser by going to "192.168.92.1" in your browser. This would be the only way you could determine the configuration or check to see if there has been an update to the version. You can see the connector's WiFi Direct "available network" only after resetting the circuit breaker, or pressing the connector handle button for 10 seconds, as the connector SSID is only broadcast for 5 minutes after this reboot process. Stupid implementation. Tesla now says this is the way it works.

1616812393837.png

My preference would be to at least allow a user to login at a landing page then give access to it. I understand the safety/security justification for not allowing adjustments to any device over a network particularly without password protection.

Early this year, Tesla removed the home web page of the wall connector. You previously could just access the wall connector and get the version and configuration. Now, in order to see much of anything, you must press the button on the Wall Connector plug for 5 seconds, and the light starts blinking on the connector. You then have 5 minutes to connect to the broadcast WiFi network being sent out by the wall connector (browse for wifi networks on you phone or computer, it is easily identifiable). Once you connect to this wifi network, put 192.168.92.1 in your browser and connect directly to the wall connector. Now you can upgrade it, change the config, and see the configuration. Not sure why it is so complicated now to do this.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
You then have 5 minutes to connect to the broadcast WiFi network
You are completely correct @DerbyDave, it's an unnecessary hassle to have to jump all these new hoops just to do a quick diagnose of the Wall Connector status.

Plus, my Gen3 updated itself to Firmware version 21.18.1 on July 2nd, and since then it has broadcasted it's SSID non-stop!

Previously, it would give a 5 minutes countdown with it's green blinking LED and then just hid it's SSID. Now, it won't hide it's network name anymore. The LED stops blinking but the Wall Connector's Wifi network is always available. I contacted Tesla at: [email protected] and they mentioned this is the new normal, as they have enabled the Power Sharing feature on Gen3's and this is the way the Wall Connectors comunicate with each other.

The thing is, I don't have the Power Sharing feature on, and my Wall Connector is located a few feet away from a coffee shop window (granted, it's protected by its WAP2 password that only I have), but I don't want the Wall Connector broadcasting it's SSID all the time, especially if I don't have the Power Sharing setting turned on. :mad:

Last edited:
I was going to buy a Wall Connector but after reading all the issues, I think I may stick with my Mobile Connector and the 14-50 @32A
Get a Gen2 if you can find one! They are bullet proof and they can charge at 80amps (on an 100amp circuit) if your vehicle has the required 72amp or dual 40amp onboard chargers. Also they have a longer cable 😬.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
The Gen 3 has an 18 foot cable if you select this when ordering. Gen 3 Wall Connector currently available supports the 48Amp maximum charge any Tesla sold in the past several years (since at least 2018) can support. Once you get the Wall Connector installed, it has no problems. Now it can power share. Soon you can bill and connect other cars besides Tesla (for hotels and such), with the Gen3. I love mine.