Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector charges at 22kWh but Tesla only gets 7 kWh??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I need your help in understanding if something is wrong with my Wall Connector at home.
I recently upgraded to three-phase and so I asked my electrician to also recable the Wall Connector to make use of the increased power.
Before recabling I was getting 7 kW. In the MCU Tesla showed 7kW and I could also see that the actual consumption in 1h was 7kWh. Also the car was getting 7kWh after 1h charging. So all good.

After the recabling, I see that Tesla and Teslafi are showing that the charge is being performed at 22kW but in practise only 7kW are hitting the car. So after 1h the car only gets 7kWh....

What could be wrong? I was expecting the car getting 22kWh or so after 1h charging at 22kW.

Attached the Teslafi charging report and what the Tesla app shows.

tesla.png
Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 13.39.44.png

Guys, I need your help in understanding if something is wrong with my Wall Connector at home.
I recently upgraded to three-phase and so I asked my electrician to also recable the Wall Connector to make use of the increased power.
Before recabling I was getting 7 kW. In the MCU Tesla showed 7kW and I could also see that the actual consumption in 1h was 7kWh. Also the car was getting 7kWh after 1h charging. So all good.

After the recabling, I see that Tesla and Teslafi are showing that the charge is being performed at 22kW but in practise only 7kW are hitting the car. So after 1h the car only gets 7kWh....

What could be wrong? I was expecting the car getting 22kWh or so after 1h charging at 22kW.

Attached the Teslafi charging report and what the Tesla app shows.

View attachment 544058 View attachment 544059

I suggest you "report" your own post and ask the mods to move it to model s forum. There are people who have model S' in this section of the forum, but you are ask a question specifically about model S charging speeds, which are not relevant to model 3 charging speeds. Model S owners might be able to assist you better.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Are you sure? I can definitely charge at 16kW at work.
Sorry, thought you had a 3. And 7ish kw fits perfectly for the Standard Range Model 3.

A quick first step would be to call Tesla and ask them to look at the charging logs.

Otherwise, I suspect something is setup wrong in the charger.

Are wires connected to L1, L2, N, and G?
Or L1, L2, L3, N and G?
If you measure from phase 1 to phase 2 do you get 230v or 400 volts. I bet you get 230v. If so, here's your answer.
When you had single phase service the wires were connected to L1, N and G. I bet the electrician added phase 2 -> L2, and phase 3 -> L3. But actually Neutral should be disconnected, and phase 3 connected to N. Check the installation manual.

Last edited:
Sorry, thought you had a 3. And 7ish kw fits perfectly for the Standard Range Model 3.

A quick first step would be to call Tesla and ask them to look at the charging logs.

Otherwise, I suspect something is setup wrong in the charger.

Are wires connected to L1, L2, N, and G?
Or L1, L2, L3, N and G?
If you measure from phase 1 to phase 2 do you get 230v or 400 volts. I bet you get 230v. If so, here's your answer.
When you had single phase service the wires were connected to L1, N and G. I bet the electrician added phase 2 -> L2, and phase 3 -> L3. But actually Neutral should be disconnected, and phase 3 connected to N. Check the installation manual.

Thanks for your answer. I have 3x230V without neutral.
Find hereunder the wiring pictures. Do you see anything that can be corrected to increase the charging rate?

Attachments

• IMG_4834.jpeg
    IMG_4834.jpeg
    460.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4831.jpeg
    IMG_4831.jpeg
    374 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_4828.jpeg
    IMG_4828.jpeg
    344.2 KB · Views: 102
Everything checks out. It appears your electrician re-used your Neutral wire as phase 3, but that's only a problem in the labeling sense.

That seems to be what Tesla advises to do (see excerpt from the manual).
I'll call Tesla on Monday (it's already Saturday night in here).
Where do you think the hiccup is? Anything wrong done by my electrician?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 20.14.58.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 20.14.58.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 63
Something goofy there. Seems you’re only getting 32A on a single phase.

Furthermore if we’re talking about the car in your sig I’m 99% certain you can’t charge at 22kw - my understanding is your onboard charger will max out at 24a x 3 (~16kw)

I’m actually curious if backing the amps off to 24 manually will cause it to use the full 3 phases and charge faster.

Seeing you’re in Belgium - it’s my understanding that the 230v 3-phase no neutral service you describe is generally provided via an “IT” earthing scheme - if that’s the case, DIP switch 1 should be in the UP position per the 3-phase wall connector manual. It’s DOWN in your pictures.

This is pure speculation on my part from half a world away - so please consider this advice to be worth what you paid for it and either consult a professional or proceed at your own risk.

Seeing you’re in Belgium - it’s my understanding that the 230v 3-phase no neutral service you describe is generally provided via an “IT” earthing scheme - if that’s the case, DIP switch 1 should be in the UP position per the 3-phase wall connector manual. It’s DOWN in your pictures.

This is pure speculation on my part from half a world away - so please consider this advice to be worth what you paid for it and either consult a professional or proceed at your own risk.

Hi, sure thanks for your answers (yes it's a duplicate thread, I wrongly chose model 3 and asked to move it - no answer for a while so I opened a new one).
Yes, it’s the car in the signature. it seems that in Belgium the earthing scheme is TT, so I wouldn’t change that.
On the other hand when you say “backing the amps to 24A” you mean to set the rotary to 7 (25A)?

If I lower the amp on the MCU the charging rate decreases proportionally (see attached picture from Teslafi) and it goes down to 6 kWh and less.

Screenshot 2020-05-24 at 08.31.34.png