Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector charges at 22kWh but Tesla only gets 7 kWh??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, I need your help in understanding if something is wrong with my Wall Connector at home.
I recently upgraded to three-phase and so I asked my electrician to also rewire the Wall Connector to make use of the increased power.
Before rewiring I was getting 7 kW. In the MCU Tesla showed 7kW and I could also see that the actual consumption in 1h was 7kWh. Also the car was getting 7kWh after 1h charging. So all good.

After the rewiring, I see that Tesla and Teslafi are showing that the charge is being performed at 22kW but in practice only 7kW are hitting the car. So after 1h the car only gets 7kWh....

What could be wrong? I was expecting the car getting 22kWh or so after 1h charging at 22kW.
I have 3x230V without neutral.

Attached the Teslafi charging report, what the Tesla app shows and the wiring of the wall connector. IMG_4834.jpeg IMG_4831.jpeg IMG_4828.jpeg tesla.png
Screenshot 2020-05-23 at 13.39.44.png

So you only have T1, T2, T3 and no N?

upload_2020-6-6_19-40-10.png

How many amps do you have available?

Your Tesla, if it's a may 2016 or later, can only charge up to 16,5kW, and only on 3 phase + N.

upload_2020-6-6_19-44-0.png

Home Charging Installation

I'm not sure why your car would tell you you're getting 22kW, but obviously you're charging at single phase 32A.

Have you contacted [email protected] already?

Reactions: Dario_75D
So you only have T1, T2, T3 and no N?
Yes.

How many amps do you have available?
This is what I have:
Distributienetspanning 3 x 230V
1 x enkelvoudig uurtarief, Driefasig, 40 A, 15.9 kVA

Your Tesla, if it's a may 2016 or later, can only charge up to 16,5kW, and only on 3 phase + N.
So, indeed I should get 16.5kW (that's by the way what I get when I charge at work).

Have you contacted [email protected] already?

I did on the 26th of May... still waiting.

First, don't mind the indications given by the car when charging at 3x230V: they are wrong. They are correct when charging single phase or three phase but not in this case.
Second, the most interesting connection is the one mentioned by Wooter and the manual In his post. it gives the most balanced load and the highest charging power.
Third, put the charger at maximum current with the dip switches when you are confident the maximum current won't be a problem. In that case the charging power will be 8,5 kW with your 75D.
Finally, it is a bit sad that you don't get the same information from the costumer service. They should now by now how it works.

Reactions: Dario_75D
Thanks both.
In this picture you see that the connection was done the way wooter proposed.
The dip switch also is in position 8 (max current).
Yet I get no more than 7kW. I guess that’s it then.

Third, put the charger at maximum current with the dip switches when you are confident the maximum current won't be a problem. In that case the charging power will be 8,5 kW with your 75D.

But why do you say I could get 8.5kW?

When you charge with 3x220V no neutral it is a bit special. You will be using only 2 chargers (out of 3). The phase connected to the neutral will be at his maximum of 32A. The 2 other phase will pull 18.5A. So total absorbed power should be 2x 18.5x230 = 8.5kW.
Can you measure the current pulled from L1 and L2 ?

If you want the full 16.5kW charging you must install a 3 phase transformer 3x230 to 3x400V.
At that time you can use the full 24A on all phases giving you sqrt(3)x400x24A = 16.5kW.
In 3x220V this means pulling 40A per phase from the primary of the transformer (=your home cabinet)...

See also this page:
Belgium and the Netherlands: Charging infrastructure (Thuis laden)

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and wooter