Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Daisy Chain Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had one Wall Connector that did:

35 mi/hr 230V 48/80A

I just added another one and daisy chained and now they charge at:

13 mi/hr 230V 20/20A Model S 75D
4 mi/hr 230V 20/20A Model X 90D

The batteries are super cold right now (they where outside while electrician was working) so mi/hr may be low because of that.

But in general, does the 20/20A look correct? Should be say 24/40A?

Yes, it looked like this with 1 Wall Connector:

IMG_0535.PNG

Now it looks like this, 1 shot for each car:

IMG_0538.PNG

IMG_0539.PNG

Two interesting things:

I thought I'd get 35/2 mi/hr on each (half), but I'm getting 25-28 (more than half each)

When I had one car plugged into one not daisy changed unit it read 48/80A, now when I have one car plugged into one daisy chained unit but not with the other plugged in, it reads 48/48A.

Reactions: Falkirk and MP3Mike
I thought I'd get 35/2 mi/hr on each (half), but I'm getting 25-28 (more than half each)

That is because you had it wired to supply up to 80A, and the standard charger can only handle 48A of that. So when adding a second car it splits it in half. If you had only wired the WC up to handle 48A, then it would have split it in half 24A for each car.

Note: It isn't always split 50/50. If one car is has a significantly lower charge level it will get more of the available power. (In your case that wouldn't make much difference as the lower charged car would get 48A while the other car would get 32A.)

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk