Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Gen 3 continuously transmits network traffic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, that's cool! Thank you for the info!
Also I see that firmware auto-update does not work me for some reason. Back in May when I installed wall connector I manually updated it to 22.23.0, and this version still didn't change. The latest version available now is 22.7.0. But why it was not updated automatically?
@Mike1080i you mentioned earlier that you saw how your Wall Connector updated on Monday and rebooted. How did you know about that? What is your current firmware version?

"firmware_version": "22.23.0+gb7356e54a091bc",
"part_number": "1457768-01-F",

I have never manually updated ours. We have had it since May 2020.

"firmware_version": "22.23.0+gb7356e54a091bc",
I have exactly the same version now. Maybe this "+gb7356e54a091bc" represents the update on the top of base firmware 🤨
When I installed wall connector in May, it had version like 1.3.xxx something very old, and didn't update automatically, so I did it manually. After manual update I had features of power share become available. It was not available before

Reactions: kayak1
@Mike1080i you mentioned earlier that you saw how your Wall Connector updated on Monday and rebooted. How did you know about that? What is your current firmware version?
I just happened to be out in the garage when the wall connector rebooted. A few minutes later I checked the firmware and it had updated from 22.7.0 to 22.23.0 via the api @kayak1 mentioned above. When I installed it, I had to manually update it to 22.7.0 since it claimed there was no newer firmware available. Nice to know that auto update actually works!

Reactions: kayak1
Looks like around 3 a.m. early Sunday morning my wall connector jumped up from ~150kB an hour back to about 1.5MB an hour. Firmware is still 22.23.0. Just wondering if anyone else saw anything similar recently.
TWC Traffic4_800.jpg

Kinda currious about all that.

I just installed 2 x Gen3 wall connector.
First one auto-updated when I set it up, went from whatever to 22.23.0.
Second one says no update available for some reason, I went to manually update it but weirdly the Tesla support page here :
Offline Firmware Updates

Only lists firmware v22.7.0

Now, from my experience in software engineering, unless their numbering is wrong then obviously 22.23.0 is more recent than 22.7.0 so 2 questions :
  • Why does the website not offer 22.23.0?
  • Why does my WC does not auto update?
I tried to run the offline update to 22.7.0, which worked, in the hopes that it would then unstuck and find the most recent update. But no luck.

I guess it does not matter too much and I would have never known if I only had one. But now seeing both Wall Connectors at different versions is kinda bugging me o_O

Those running 22.7.0: can you disable the WiFi beaconing on that firmware version, if power sharing is disabled? In other words, if you do a WiFi network scan, do you see a WiFi network named "TeslaWallConnector_xxxxxx" where xxxxxx is the last 6 digits of your device's MAC address or not? This was a big problem on the first 1 or 2 versions that supported power sharing. Is it still an issue?

Update: it appears if the Wall Connector is running version 22.23.0 it no longer broadcasts the SSID, unless it is in configuration mode. Mine is no longer broadcasting the SSID.

Unfortunately, if the download option in the connector will not download this version the best you can do is download 22.7.0 from here and hope your connector updates later: