Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

wall connector gen 3 wi-fi problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a v2 wall connector replaced under warranty recently, due to a crack in the charge handle. I called the main Tesla # 1-877-798-3752 to speak with support. Their phone menu options direct you to Tesla Energy and the person I spoke with there connected me to wall connector support, who took my information, asked for photos of the wall connector and authorized a warranty replacement. They sent the new wall connector out, and emailed me a FedEx pre-paid shipping label to return the old one once I swapped the units. The whole process was pretty painless. I believe the warranty is 4 years, so your unit should be covered by warranty. I hope this helps.
Thank you!

Basically, I was really struggling to get any support from Tesla regarding my Gen 2 wall charger... I knew it was less than 4 years old and should be covered under warranty. The Tesla support team did not help me get this resolved and I had to resolve it myself - They were completely jerking me around on the appointments and messaging through the app… see below:

• Mar 1 sent Tesla a request for service through the app to repair/service my wall charger- They accepted the request but told me I had to wait for parts (I assumed this was a new charger)...
  • Mar 2nd they messaged me that my appointment had been pushed until much later in March told me I had to go to a service station to get this dealt with rather than an onsite visit. I told them that I commute with 2 teslas and that I could not be without a charger for so long... So Tesla moved up the appointment and told me the parts were in stock in a different location but I would have to go there... Also a service bulletin was requiring me to go in person to their location… I asked what this was and what it had to do with my wall charger and could I please speak with someone on the phone as I was desperate to get my charging situation sorted… They responded simply that it was regarding my HVAC (which I had never spoke to them about) and did not mention the wall charger issue at all.
  • Mar 4 I sent another message asking what this HVAC business was about and what is going on with my wall charger? No response on the 4th.
  • Mar 5 They responded saying this bulletin was “added” to my visit and was regarding the heating and ventilation. I responded AGAIN asking what do I have to do to get my wall charger repaired? They then finally gave me the email address for the wall connector support team… So I emailed them and asked them to help with my situation (I still have not heard back from them). Out of desperation, I ordered a new wall charger and had it installed (again, I don’t live in the city so getting electricians out is costly).

Now that I have finally gotten my Gen 3 charger installed and managed to reach someone by phone in the warranty dept, they are telling me that I have to hire an electrician to come and put it back on, so they can test it to ensure it’s faulty… Which of course means I would then have to hire him AGAIN to put the proper one back on as well. The electrical bill will cost as much as the charger.

After 5 days without a charger and a complete runaround from the service team, I had to deal with this problem and I did. I understand (now) that they needed to conduct a test with it still connected to determine if it is faulty (even though literature everywhere indicates a solid red light means internal failure) but I feel as though the service team has failed me in and left me hanging without the means to charge my 2 Teslas. I suppose that after spending $200K I hoped for better service than this. And now I am on the hook for a new charger when the old one was still under warranty.

I want to reach out to someone higher up the food chain. I don't suppose anyone on here has any contact with someone higher than a service rep?

What is the benefit is connecting the wall connector to wifi? We have 1 wall connector and 2 powerwall. Not even sure if it is connected, but everything works AOK? Is wifi needed for "EV charging on backup power"?
The Gen 3 will perform firmware updates automatically and need wifi to do so. The previous models may do that as well, I just don't know if that's the case.

Well, I guess I am in the same boat as most of you, albeit two years later. Tried to connect using the QR code and got wrong password error. Tried typing in the password manually, same problem. Tried manually entering the SSID and the password, same problem. I'm finding it a little hard to believe this can be a real problem in 2022. I'm pretty tech savvy. Some poor bastard who thinks scanning the QR code will take care of everything has another think coming. I don't have time for this B.S. I'd just ignore it, but it appears that the charger is useless until you commission it online. What a PITA. Did anyone ever figure out the mystery?

Reactions: JDL@h
I just installed my today and could not connect to the WiFi wall connector. I tried my android phone, Chromebook and my daughters iPhone. All said bad password. Could not connect with the QR code.

What I had to do is to manually create the WiFi and selected WPA2 for security and entered in the password and was able to connect and finish setting up the wall connector.
Wish it would work for me, but no luck....

I was having issues too with the Gen 3. Someone on TMC said, keep the phone/laptop real close to the Wall charger and also make sure the single green light is blinking. Press the button on the charger if you need the wifi to rebroadcast.
I managed to connect once and input my home wifi SSID and pwd, it did a firmware update since it power cycled after a few minutes.
Couple of points I noted:
1) If you are using a phone to scan the QR code and then join the Tesla wifi network, there is no need to input the WPA2 password. It's already noted.
2) If you keep seeing the swirly thing, type in the whole address: http://192.168.92.1/installation it takes you to the main page where you can input your wifi, change amps etc.

I was having issues too with the Gen 3. Someone on TMC said, keep the phone/laptop real close to the Wall charger and also make sure the single green light is blinking. Press the button on the charger if you need the wifi to rebroadcast.
I managed to connect once and input my home wifi SSID and pwd, it did a firmware update since it power cycled after a few minutes.
1) If you are using a phone to scan the QR code and then join the Tesla wifi network, there is no need to input the WPA2 password. It's already noted.
2) If you keep seeing the swirly thing, type in the whole address: http://192.168.92.1/installation it takes you to the main page where you can input your wifi, change amps etc.
More direct links:
http://192.168.92.1/service - This is to manually upload /update firmware (download the latest firmware to your PC)
http://192.168.92.1/access - This is to setup charge access ( all vehicles, Tesla only, or list of VINs)
http://192.168.92.1/wifi - This is to setup local wifi access connection.
http://192.168.92.1/installation - This is set up the size of the breaker installed.

Similar issues here, except when I enter my home wifi password I keep getting a message stating 'Lost Connection to Device'. I've tried many times to get beyond this with no luck. I've kinda run out of ideas. Anyone have any suggestions?

Try to connect with a laptop.
Thanks, yeah, tried that as well as an android (Samsung) tablet and no luck. I think I've tried everything suggested in this and several other threads so now I'm wondering if my wall charger is just a little too far away from my router? I haven't placed a call to Tesla service yet, are they pretty good in responding and helping to troubleshoot? To be frank I'm kinda tired of trying to fix this, and since the wall charger works wondering if it's even worth trying just to get updates (which I can do manually) till they fix their UI for this. Anyone have thoughts on this?