Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Gen3: Future-proofing with 60A breaker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"generally every other install"?! That is a ridiculous assumption. Mine isn't.
Almost every install I've seen on here is conduit fastened on the wall ran from the panel box in a garage. Almost everyone's looks the same except when you have a "weird layout" and have to go through walls or something else. If you are installing a wall connector or a 14-50 outlet it is 99% likely that is the scenario at your house. Hence the "generally" term was used. That was not a ridiculous assumption at all.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Interesting none of my wiring is in conduit except the run up on the outside of the house and garage where it enters the buildings. The electrician actually said that with the buried line it's now against code to use conduit due to better heat dissipation without. What do I know though. My AC doesn't use conduit either for the basement run.

I have a 2021 SR+, and have been using a NEMA 14-50 outlet since last June. It's been great.

However, as good as this is, I couldn't resist ordering a Wall Connector as I am moving to a new house where I don't plan to move for many, many years.

I know the SR+ can only charge at a max rate of 32A, so if I'm understanding correctly, I only need a 40A breaker. But should I consider just going ahead and having a 60A circuit installed for future-proofing? There's probably a greater than 0% chance this isn't my last Tesla (and probably an even better chance this isn't my last EV), and the next one, whether for me or my wife, may have a higher max charge rate. The electrician says the cost difference is negligible.

If I go ahead with a 60A breaker, is there anything to be careful or concerned about? The onboard charger will make sure I don't draw too much, just as it currently does with my mobile connector on the 14-50 outlet, right? But in the meantime, if I have guests with a more powerful Tesla, they can benefit from a faster charge.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.
I'm have my 60amp service upgraded as I write for wall charger. the car and charger will adapt to draw requited

Interesting none of my wiring is in conduit except the run up on the outside of the house and garage where it enters the buildings. The electrician actually said that with the buried line it's now against code to use conduit due to better heat dissipation without. What do I know though. My AC doesn't use conduit either for the basement run.
I thin k the deal is to run

Southwire Liquid Tight Flexible Conduit may work. Ask to volt guy.​

Yes, go ahead and size the breaker and set the wall connector to match the capacity of the wire. It's the simplest approach and is entirely safe. Putting in a 40a breaker and setting the wall connector that way will either cause a future owner to live with that limit, or to have to figure out that it's upgradable. Also, upsizing the breaker later could require a new permit and inspection and could expose you to having to meet new code requirements.

Skip the future hassle and do it right this time.