Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector install with Dryer Buddy using 30 dryer outlet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know if they're properly connected back to the transformer, seeing how it's up on a pole not in my yard, but they ground bus is grounded, I "tested" it using said fluke through a pipe on a water heater that is opposite of that dryer. The panelboard has a neutral and ground bus tied together, as it should. All voltages check out as far as I can tell.

The neutral jumper on the dryer was a bit odd, you can't "remove" it, so it's undone and landed back on itself. I would have to break the spliced connection in the dryer to actually remove it. Oh well.

Reactions: eprosenx
Hi all,

I also purchased a dryer buddy #1 with two 10-30 receptacles since I have a 30 amp 10-30 dryer outlet. My question is how do I connect a 3-wire dryer cable to the hpwc?

Thanks!

dryer cable.jpg

You must cut off the metal connectors and connect to the HWPC per the installation instructions for the HWPC. Ensure you select the correct amperage via the dial. (Should be 24A for a 30A circuit.) And it is recommended to use ferrules so that the connections do not become loose. If you are uncomfortable, recommend you enlist the help of an electrician or friend that is more familiar.

You must cut off the metal connectors and connect to the HWPC per the installation instructions for the HWPC. Ensure you select the correct amperage via the dial. (Should be 24A for a 30A circuit.) And it is recommended to use ferrules so that the connections do not become loose. If you are uncomfortable, recommend you enlist the help of an electrician or friend that is more familiar.
Actually if you just use a hack saw to take off the rings, the rest of those connectors would make a good wire termination.

That's what I thought, until a wire came loose and the Wall Connector lost power. Good thing there was no arcing/sparking. Using ferrules as well as the cable gland is recommended for good reason. Here are the glands. I could not find them locally.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1T4XOF/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I had meant to leave the crimped part of the ring connectors, which is essentially the same thing as a ferrule. Are you saying the crimps weren't good on the connectors? I can certainly see why the gland would be necessary for strain relief.

I had meant to leave the crimped part of the ring connectors, which is essentially the same thing as a ferrule. Are you saying the crimps weren't good on the connectors? I can certainly see why the gland would be necessary for strain relief.

Ah... I did not get that. I suppose that would work just fine.

At first I was going to recommend NOT using this thinner wire, but then realized sml5556 got the Dryer Buddy with two 10-30s.

In my case, I used a much thicker range cord that is rated for 14-50 and the Dryer Buddy for 14-50 to 10-30. That way I can use my Wall Connector in a 14-50 when I move without having to rewire it.

Just be careful with the Dryer Buddy. I've had two completely melt down. I have the 14-30 in to 14-30/14-30 out, Plus version (the one with the switch). Each started to melt through its casing in about a year or so. The first was rebuilt by Brad under warranty, but just now I smelled something burning and noticed the replacement has now also melted. I actually even moved homes and changed the mounting type, plus it's winter now, so I've changed just about everything.

The first I figured was a fluke, but with the second it seems pretty clear there's an issue. I would NOT allow your car to charge at 24A when plugged into one.

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
To save some fellow Tesla owners from some headache and money and time loss, I wanted to warn everyone to think twice before ordering a Dryerbuddy.

As you may already know, BSA electronics is a one-man shop. Nothing wrong with that, except that you have to pay upfront and then you have to wait months (he provides a calendar, but then misses that day by weeks and ignores your emails).

There is no customer service, no returns, no warranty, nothing. If something goes wrong he will "negotiate" with you to fix it. maybe you get lucky, maybe you don't. you have already paid full and you have no recourse.

After waiting for months for my order to arrive, I gave up and ordered a neocharger arrives in 10 calendar days, looks much better than the ugly gray box, and has proper service, warranty, and returns. If he ever sends me my dryerbuddy, I am going to put it straight on eBay.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the little guy standing on his own feet, but in this case, the quality of the service is very low, you can donate money to him if you want, but if you want good product and service, stay away from this company.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
To save some fellow Tesla owners from some headache and money and time loss, I wanted to warn everyone to think twice before ordering a Dryerbuddy.

As you may already know, BSA electronics is a one-man shop. Nothing wrong with that, except that you have to pay upfront and then you have to wait months (he provides a calendar, but then misses that day by weeks and ignores your emails).

There is no customer service, no returns, no warranty, nothing. If something goes wrong he will "negotiate" with you to fix it. maybe you get lucky, maybe you don't. you have already paid full and you have no recourse.

After waiting for months for my order to arrive, I gave up and ordered a neocharger arrives in 10 calendar days, looks much better than the ugly gray box, and has proper service, warranty, and returns. If he ever sends me my dryerbuddy, I am going to put it straight on eBay.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for the little guy standing on his own feet, but in this case, the quality of the service is very low, you can donate money to him if you want, but if you want good product and service, stay away from this company.

Neocharge looks like a nice solution but I'm a little concerned that their dryer splitter product has a 30 amp input, 30 amp dryer output, and 14-50 for EV charging. Seems it should be a 14-30. no?
https://www.getneocharge.com/product-page/neocharge-dryer-splitter

Just installed my Wall Connector using a Dryer Buddy so that I can use an existing 30A dryer outlet. Saved me probably $1500 or more because the electrical box is on the other side of the house. The Dryer Buddy is the #4 with meter. I don't plan to use the dryer at the same time I charge, so I didn't buy the version that prioritizes the Tesla 14-50 outlet. Very happy with this solution, and Brad at BSA Electronics makes and tests these by hand, so it took just under a month from ordering until delivery!
I have the same setup with a longer run from the buddy to mobile connector. I used conduit and hard wired into the buddy for a cleaner look

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 114
Just last week I helped a neighbor set up a Dryer Buddy in his garage. His was delivered as promised. It's well made (I also briefly opened it up to peek inside), and I really like the display on the front which shows voltage, amps, and a power meter that you can use to measure the kWh you use for charging. Personally I use a switch box I built myself, but I wish I had that display.

Reactions: eprosenx
Neocharge looks like a nice solution but I'm a little concerned that their dryer splitter product has a 30 amp input, 30 amp dryer output, and 14-50 for EV charging. Seems it should be a 14-30. no?
https://www.getneocharge.com/product-page/neocharge-dryer-splitter

Excellent point.

In my case, the dryer, the breaker, the receptacle, and the wiring all were set for 30 amps (24 max allowable current) so I ordered a neocharger which had 14-30 on all sides, and got a 14-30 plug for my tesla charger (which automatically sets the current to 24 amps)

however, you can ask for any combination, they actually call you to review your needs and panel and wiring capacity.