Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Installation Estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got an estimate to install my Tesla Wall Charger at my house and was wondering if it is a fair price.

The estimate is $950 (+ tax).

Here is the text of the quote:

Installation of charging equipment for Tesla electric
vehicle. Tesla wall charger to be connected with #8
copper conductors.
Conduit to be run from panel A around exterior wall.
Unit will be installed: on rear wall of building closest
to driveway
Circuit breaker type: SDHO 40 amp 2 pole

The conduit run is roughly 25-30 feet. There is room in the box for the breaker.

The house is a 4-plex that I own and I live in one of the units. There are 4 separate meters, each with 100 amp service. He told me that he would only install a 40 amp breaker and not 50 or 60 because of the 100 amp service. Does this sound right? The vehicle would only be charging in the middle of the night when little else is requiring power. I inquired about upgrading one of the 100 amp boxes to 200 amp service and he said it couldn't be done without replacing the entire electrical service for $5000-7000. He did not remove the main panel where the power line comes in, he said he could tell by just looking at it. If any electricians here could give me their opinion on this I'd appreciate it. Here is a pic:

20210526_112858.jpg

Aside from that does the quote seem fair?

Thanks.

Oh I missed the distance. $950 for 25-30ft is about right imo. Charging at 40amp is still really good. And I concur with the poster above get more quotes and see for yourself.

Btw it sounds like the outlet will be in a shared or public accessible space. You might want to think about a lock for your outlet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and brkaus
Upvote 0
Btw it sounds like the outlet will be in a shared or public accessible space. You might want to think about a lock for your outlet.
...or not, because it's not an outlet.
to install my Tesla Wall Charger
He told me that he would only install a 40 amp breaker and not 50 or 60 because of the 100 amp service. Does this sound right?
Yes, I do think this all sounds very appropriate. It would be fairly unusual that you would have enough free capacity that you could just add an extra circuit that is half or more of the entire supply of your house. 40A will give a very solid charging rate. And $950 doesn't sound bad for this.

Reactions: steve68
Upvote 0
Outlet or wall unit or other, the point is if it's not locked anyone could possibly charge on it. I see ppl use lock boxes with their chargers in public spaces so it might be worth a thought for the op.
This has been brought up, but it's kind of ridiculous:

"Maybe I'm being naive, but do people really steal power like that? Someone just driving around the neighborhood in an EV looking to steal electricity and leaving their car in someone else's driveway for hours to charge? Is that really a thing?"

"No it's not. That's just irrational paranoia. One of the main things about stealing something is that you can take it and get away quickly so you won't get caught. This notion that someone is going to sit there with their car parked for several hours waiting to get caught stealing is just nonsense."

Upvote 0
Nah, it's never happened before right? :rolleyes:

Nevermind having your wall unit stolen or cables...

Upvote 0
Nah, it's never happened before right? :rolleyes:
You still don't seem to be getting it. So it's a one in a million thing. If that potential bad thing could cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars, then sure, it's worth taking some exteme measures to prevent it, even if it's very unlikely. But to prevent costing you $10? No, that's pointless. You would be guaranteed 100% chance of costing yourself more than that to build something to stop the potential 0.1% chance of costing yourself that much in lost electricity.

My wife had an interesting class in college called The Economics of Crime that taught how all of these scenarios and probabilities are processed by both criminals and law enforcement, whether consciously or subconsciously, with likelihood of getting caught versus risk/reward, etc. So when the potential loss is very small, AND the chance of it is also small, it is not worth expended cost/time/effort to prevent it.

Upvote 0
You still don't seem to be getting it. So it's a one in a million thing. If that potential bad thing could cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars, then sure, it's worth taking some exteme measures to prevent it, even if it's very unlikely. But to prevent costing you $10? No, that's pointless. You would be guaranteed 100% chance of costing yourself more than that to build something to stop the potential 0.1% chance of costing yourself that much in lost electricity.

My wife had an interesting class in college called The Economics of Crime that taught how all of these scenarios and probabilities are processed by both criminals and law enforcement, whether consciously or subconsciously, with likelihood of getting caught versus risk/reward, etc. So when the potential loss is very small, AND the chance of it is also small, it is not worth expended cost/time/effort to prevent it.
Blah blah blah, dude seriously.... so your wife's economics of crime class makes you some expert?

Why are there locks on cars? Cuz ppl steal *sugar*. How often does theft happen, every day yet we don't hear or read about most thefts, yet they happen everyday. Petty thefts like this will only become more prevalent as EVs becomes ubiquitous. A wall charging unit is expensive and if it's mounted to a public space sooner or later someone is going to see the $ signs. For christsake they break into hopes to steal copper, and one doesn't think they'll steal a charger right out in open? And btc miners steal electricity more often that ppl realize, smh.

I put it out there for the OP. You can have your opinion just like anyone else just as I.

Upvote 0
Why are there locks on cars? Cuz ppl steal *sugar*.
Again, as I pointed out, that is grab and go. That is done quickly. People don't have to spend 5 hours out in the open stealing something out of a car or the car itself. That is why you need to prevent this kind of thing. Using someone's electricity on their driveway for hours is obviously different.

For christsake they break into homes to steal copper, and one doesn't think they'll steal a charger right out in open?
If they get to be inside a building, out of sight, then yes, people can steal things that take more time to do because the chance of being caught goes way down. Again, that is a different situation.

So that was mainly just about the idea of people stealing someone's electricity. That's just not an issue. Stealing the actual charging equipment? Yeah, that can potentially be a reason for someone to try to protect or lock that up. Again, though, it's kind of about how effective that actually is. If someone is going to just steal a wall connector, that is still quick, but will take some effort either way. Having to break a box off it with a crowbar first isn't that much more work. So that's kind of questionable how useful that is for a wall connector. A regular mobile connector plugged into an outlet though, that's a bit too easy, so could use some protection or not leaving it out.

Upvote 0
Price sounds reasonable. Maybe a bit high for NM but not out of line given the length of the run, wire costs, and sufficient wages for a quality electrician. Getting other quotes is probably ok but I'd be suspicious that anyone much cheaper is likely to be cutting corners.
I prefer word of mouth over multiple quotes.

Upvote 0