Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector installed ✅

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
Finally installed. Had to use the building's contractor and finished the "commissioning process on my own. Pretty straightforward. Tesla tech support was awesome as I will need to manually update the firmware due to no WiFi in the garage.

IMG_0995.jpeg

Finally installed. Had to use the building's contractor and finished the "commissioning process on my own. Pretty straightforward. Tesla tech support was awesome as I will need to manually update the firmware due to no WiFi in the garage.
Congratulations! Any inquiry i send to my condo board just leads to more confusion. They want to involve lawyers, quotes are really high and the services to track usage seem expensive on a month to month basis. Glad it was able to get installed for you!

What kind of KWs are you getting there? Are you doing anything to physically or digitally secure it? I suppose there is no digital security if it can't get internet access.
I am on my own circuit breaker at 30 amps as I didn't want to spend even more money for 6 or more gauge wiring. phone is showing 5kW + 2kWh. No clue what that means and don’t really care. 😀

• Funny
Reactions: sewing1 and Tz00
I am on my own circuit breaker at 30 amps as I didn't want to spend even more money for 6 or more gauge wiring. phone is showing 5kW + 2kWh. No clue what that means and don’t really care. 😀

5 kW is the charging rate. The car is charging at 5,000 Watts.

+2 kWh means you’ve added 2 kWh of energy in the time you’ve been charging. By the math, you’ve been charging for about 24 minutes (two fifths of an hour, but all of these numbers are rounded to the nearest whole number, so it could be more or less). When it says +5 kWh, you’ll have been charging for an hour. 5 kW * 1 hour = 5 kWh.

I suppose there is no digital security if it can't get internet access.
The Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector allows you to restrict access to:
  • All vehicles
  • Only Tesla vehicles
  • Only authorized Teslas (Up to 10, based on VIN)
You don't need an external WiFi network to set up or use access control. It's set up using the wall connector's built in WiFi access point, the same as other commissioning activities.

• All vehicles
  • Only Tesla vehicles
You don't need an external WiFi network to set up or use access control. It's set up using the wall connector's built in WiFi access point, the same as other commissioning activities.

Cool. I thought it needed internet in order to implement the restrictions. That's really helpful that it does not.

Reactions: Soul Surfer
  • All vehicles
  • Only Tesla vehicles

This is nice to know.

Actually, you won't have to. At least, not as things work right now (and this is quite annoying for those of us that do NOT want our firmware to be updated). See this: Disable WiFi on Gen 3 Wall Charger?

Reactions: Soul Surfer
Actually, you won't have to. At least, not as things work right now (and this is quite annoying for those of us that do NOT want our firmware to be updated). See this: Disable WiFi on Gen 3 Wall Charger?
Interesting as I really question the rationale behind this. Its purpose is to send "juice" to the charge port. The car provides and controls all the intel. Short of error logs on the wall connector, I can't see much more. The equation is really quite straightforward.

$550 for the install as the BX was already in place. There is an app for the building, which is used for everything including charges.
Wow! I assume your building already had the infrastructure in place. I am in an older one and it looks like it is in the 6-8k range! Super convenient to have it in the space. I'll be charging at Sherway most of the time once, just waiting on order now...

Wow! I assume your building already had the infrastructure in place. I am in an older one and it looks like it is in the 6-8k range! Super convenient to have it in the space. I'll be charging at Sherway most of the time once, just waiting on order now...
This was just an upgrade for me. I had arranged for the install when we moved in 5 yrs ago. Kept the same wiring and changed the charger. Went from this

1649558935238.jpeg

We were told $10k minimum at our condo.
Decided to spend that to upgrade the M3 order to Long Range instead and use the Superchargers more. Has worked out OK so far.

• Informative
Reactions: TrevTremaine
We were told $10k minimum at our condo.
Decided to spend that to upgrade the M3 order to Long Range instead and use the Superchargers more. Has worked out OK so far.
That is utter BS and a money grab! Most condos thought I've been to, now have chargers in the guest parking even! And why $10K? how far is your parking stall from the elevator, where most of the services (read: electrical) are? I bet if you had an independent contractor quote you, it would be 1/4 of that.

Reactions: Vawlkus