Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Installed Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With our MS P85D in route to South Florida we had our Wall Connector installed today. When we checked with the Tesla store they just refer customers to the Home Depot, so we instead went with the Electrician who did all the work for our pool and landscape lighting. Couldn't be happier, for the complexity of getting the 80 AMP line to our garage the they did a fabulous job. If anyone is in South Florida (Miami area) we would highly recommend "Florida Power Connection Corp. State Electrical Contractor (786-299-7372)". Jose Gonzales was great and we can't argue the pricing based on how much work it was getting the 80 AMP line run. We also appreciate that he load tested our entire system to ensure all our electrical demands were within safe limits when we had 'full demand' going into the house; Safety First!

We went with dual chargers in the car and had Jose run an 80 AMP line to the Wall Connector, not sure how often we will need to charge in 4 hours but if we ever need to; it's there. Now we just need our car to be here!

Wall Charger.JPG
WCI1.JPG
DSBX.JPG

With our MS P85D in route to South Florida we had our Wall Connector installed today. When we checked with the Tesla store they just refer customers to the Home Depot, so we instead went with the Electrician who did all the work for our pool and landscape lighting. Couldn't be happier, for the complexity of getting the 80 AMP line to our garage the they did a fabulous job. If anyone is in South Florida (Miami area) we would highly recommend "Florida Power Connection Corp. State Electrical Contractor (786-299-7372)". Jose Gonzales was great and we can't argue the pricing based on how much work it was getting the 80 AMP line run. We also appreciate that he load tested our entire system to ensure all our electrical demands were within safe limits when we had 'full demand' going into the house; Safety First!

We went with dual chargers in the car and had Jose run an 80 AMP line to the Wall Connector, not sure how often we will need to charge in 4 hours but if we ever need to; it's there. Now we just need our car to be here!

Be careful!

You have an 80 Amp circuit breaker. The DIP Switches need to be set for an 80 Amp circuit breaker, and that will give you 64 Amp charging with dual chargers. If the wires are large enough (have the electricians check), you may want to use a 100 Amp breaker, set the DIP's appropriately, and get 80 Amp charging.

Good Luck!

Telsa changed the HPWC some time ago. The image smsprague posted is for the original HPWC (I have one of those). The new HPWC (likely in this case) rearranged the DIP settings to accommodate some lower current settings. If this is the new HPWC, then he DIP switches indicate it's set to deliver 40A.

HPWC.png

Looking at the picture the HPWC seems to be set for a 50 amp breaker.

The HPWC's come shipped set to a 50 Amp breaker. It is very common for electricians to not change the DIP settings (or even read the installation manual). Given that the HPWC is supplied by an 80 Amp breaker, if I were you, I would set the DIPs to 80A breaker, cycle the breaker, and enjoy 64 Amp charging when your MS arrives.

Longer term, I would call the electrician and ask if the wiring to the HPWC will support a 100A breaker. If it will, I would ask them to change the breaker to 100 Amps.

The 100 Amp circuit for 80 Amp charging is also a common error. The NEC requires a continuous load to be no more than 80% of the breaker rating for conventional breakers, or put another way the breaker has to be 125% of the continuous load; therefore 100:80, 80:64, etc. Faster charging is always better, but I bet that there will be less than 1% of you situations at home where you will Really need 80 Amp speed over 64 Amp speed.

Enjoy your new Tesla when it arrives!

- - - Updated - - -

Telsa changed the HPWC some time ago. The image smsprague posted is for the original HPWC (I have one of those). The new HPWC (likely in this case) rearranged the DIP settings to accommodate some lower current settings. If this is the new HPWC, then he DIP switches indicate it's set to deliver 40A.

Great catch! Use the paper manual that comes with your HPWC for the DIP settings; the on-line PDF seems to have disappeared, and the on-line PDF that can be found is the old one... The 80, 64, 40, 32, 24, 16, 12, test are the DIP settings for the HPWCs being shipped today, and match the figure that SteveS0353 posted.

Great catch! Use the paper manual that comes with your HPWC for the DIP settings; the on-line PDF seems to have disappeared, and the on-line PDF that can be found is the old one... The 80, 64, 40, 32, 24, 16, 12, test are the DIP settings for the HPWCs being shipped today, and match the figure that SteveS0353 posted.

The only pdf I can find on-line is the new one. I have a paper copy of the old one to support my old HPWC. I'd like a pdf of the old manual, but can't seem to find one on-line.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the dip switches are the same. It's just supplied power vs breaker size. 40 amps supplied power is a 50 amp breaker. So nothing has changed except wording. I think new manual is more confusing.

I believe that's true for the current settings the 2 versions of HPWC have in common, but there are several lower current settings on the new HPWC that are not possible with the old unit. For example, the setting for a 60A breaker (48A supplied) with the old HPWC would supply 12A with the new HPWC.

Be very careful -- Cottonwood's advise is sage -- use the paper manual that came with your HPWC.

Last edited:
The only pdf I can find on-line is the new one. I have a paper copy of the old one to support my old HPWC. I'd like a pdf of the old manual, but can't seem to find one on-line.

- - - Updated - - -

There are several distinct differences in delivered current with the exact same DIP settings. For example, the setting for a 60A breaker (48A supplied) with the old HPWC would supply 12A with the new HPWC.

Be very careful -- Cottonwood's advise is sage -- use the paper manual that came with your HPWC.

Agreed I was just talking about this situation. 40 amp supplied vs 50 amp breaker.

Be careful!

You have an 80 Amp circuit breaker. The DIP Switches need to be set for an 80 Amp circuit breaker, and that will give you 64 Amp charging with dual chargers. If the wires are large enough (have the electricians check), you may want to use a 100 Amp breaker, set the DIP's appropriately, and get 80 Amp charging.

Good Luck!

Really appreciate all the help from everyone, you were correct he did not set the switches correctly, thy are now set. zI also asked about the actual breakers, so before the car arrives we will get everything perfect.

Can't thank everyone enough for their expert help and advice!

I believe that's true for the current settings the 2 versions of HPWC have in common, but there are several lower current settings on the new HPWC that are not possible with the old unit. For example, the setting for a 60A breaker (48A supplied) with the old HPWC would supply 12A with the new HPWC.

Here is the URL to the PDF of the old HPWC, for 40-100A Breakers: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/hpwc_install_guide_rev_3.pdf

Here is the URL to the PDF of the new HPWC, for 12-100A Breakers: http://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/tesla-wall-connector-installation-80A-12A.pdf

Thanks for the complements. Your humble EE-CS, Tesla-owner, servant is always glad to help.

Really appreciate all the help from everyone, you were correct he did not set the switches correctly, thy are now set. zI also asked about the actual breakers, so before the car arrives we will get everything perfect.

Can't thank everyone enough for their expert help and advice!

You're very welcome! And congratulations on your purchase, and I know you will enjoy your new Model S.

A member here (FlasherZ) has posted a very informative FAQ about home charging. It's here -> FAQ: Home Tesla charging infrastructure QA, and it's a highly recommended read for anyone installing charging capability at home.

Definitely would check that out. ^

I'll just add to and summarize what others have mentioned. 80A breaker = 64A charging. 100A breaker = 80A charging. For 80A charging you'll need at least #3 copper from a 100A breaker to the HPWC. You'll also need appropriately sized wiring and breaker in your main panel to the sub panel (100A+).

Looks fine as is if you're just doing 64A charging, though.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I have noticed is how warm the charger feels. I wonder if it is a combination of my garage temperature (always about 85-90) and the amount of power running through the charger itself.

It is the current through the HPWC; Review wk057's "HPWC IR Pics (More fun)" and the "HPWC Reliability: an Overnight Charging Strategy" post to answer your question.