Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector - joined to WiFi, but can only manage on built in WiFi broadcast

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just set up a wall connector and looking great with it...mostly. It Reports it is connected to my house WiFi and I can see details / manage it on the built in Tesla self broadcasting WiFi network. Green solid single light. I can ping the IP address it got on my own WiFi network and visit that IP address on my own WiFi network...but when I do it shows a serial number and part number only...with a spinning grey circle wheel like it is trying to load the page but never does. Yet, I can put the Tesla wall connector in paring mode again by holding the charger button for 5 seconds, connect again to the built in WiFi, and see it is up to date on firmware, WiFi connected and set to 48 amps (we have a 60 amp breaker). Is this normal that I can only manage it by connecting WiFi direct to the wall charger or is something wrong?

Here is a Wall Connector install video, the WiFI setup starts connecting at 10:40. As with your Wall Connector at first the installer has difficulty connecting to the home WiFi Network. Starting at 11:35 they reconnect to the local Tesla Wall Connector WiFi network and then try again to connect to the home network. The connection is successful.

Last edited:
Just set up a wall connector and looking great with it...mostly. It Reports it is connected to my house WiFi and I can see details / manage it on the built in Tesla self broadcasting WiFi network. Green solid single light. I can ping the IP address it got on my own WiFi network and visit that IP address on my own WiFi network...but when I do it shows a serial number and part number only...with a spinning grey circle wheel like it is trying to load the page but never does. Yet, I can put the Tesla wall connector in paring mode again by holding the charger button for 5 seconds, connect again to the built in WiFi, and see it is up to date on firmware, WiFi connected and set to 48 amps (we have a 60 amp breaker). Is this normal that I can only manage it by connecting WiFi direct to the wall charger or is something wrong?

Tesla locked down the actual configuration stuff at around firmware version 1.4.4 to only be accessible from the phone-connection. There might be hidden APIs you can get to via the house wifi, but it isn't a webpage based thing anymore(At firmware 0.86, you could do the configuration/monitoring via a simple web page interface from your house wifi.)

I’m on 21.18.1 and can only get the page to load from the built in SSID and not from my usual lan. Would be cool to get the stats locally, but Tesla would need to find a way to lock it down otherwise anyone could go rogue and change your amperage. I doubt most have skills to throw it on its own VLAN and lock it down.

I’m on 21.18.1 and can only get the page to load from the built in SSID and not from my usual lan. Would be cool to get the stats locally, but Tesla would need to find a way to lock it down otherwise anyone could go rogue and change your amperage. I doubt most have skills to throw it on its own VLAN and lock it down.
We would if you explained it to us.😉

I tried on my mesh network and could not get it to finish connecting with a phone or tablet- as close as can be. I tried on a weaker standard wifi I have and it connected right away at 1 bar. Perhaps it hates mesh networks?
Your mesh wifi is probably using WPA3, the current firmware will not connect with to wifi security settings with WPA3. I created a guest network with WPA2 to get the wall connector to connect.

I sent an email to Tesla informing them about this issue even though the wall connector is advertised as WPA3 compatible. I have not heard anything yet!

Your mesh wifi is probably using WPA3, the current firmware will not connect with to wifi security settings with WPA3. I created a guest network with WPA2 to get the wall connector to connect.

I sent an email to Tesla informing them about this issue even though the wall connector is advertised as WPA3 compatible. I have not heard anything yet!
Awesome tip- thanks for that.

Reactions: with_raiden

I had to go the same……I have an eero mesh system

Is your security setting WPA2-PSK [AES] only? If so, the wall connector will not connect either. It needs to be WPA2-PSK [AES] + WPA-PSK [TKIP], the latter is the setting used on my deco mesh wifi.
Now this is rather frustrating- I went to go adjust security and my pal google only allows to turn on or off WPA3- NOTHING ELSE. Thanks google. Turns out TKIP is deprecated security for being slow and insecure so I guess Tesla is way behind on security and wifi ability

Now this is rather frustrating- I went to go adjust security and my pal google only allows to turn on or off WPA3- NOTHING ELSE. Thanks google. Turns out TKIP is deprecated security for being slow and insecure so I guess Tesla is way behind on security and wifi ability
The wifi chip found in the wall connector is pretty dated, it goes up to wireless G. I understand that the wall connector payload is pretty small and 802.11i is more than enough, they should have kept wifi parity with the car.