Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector keeps tripping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am experiencing issues with my wall connector and/or charging my tesla at home. Electricity keeps going off šŸ˜”šŸ˜± I have already replaced the outside breaker and the problems continues. I decided to charge my tesla 3 only overnight to prevent charge overload but it still happening specially if the AC is on. Help! Now is happenning more often. I even charge it on a lower amperage.

When one installs, say, a Tesla wall connector or some other high power load, the installer is supposed to do something called a ā€œload calculationā€. Thereā€™s some math involved, but the basic idea is to prevent the breaker panel from overloading and, if oneā€™s panel has one, prevent the main breaker from tripping.

Reputable electricians always do this when installing a high power load or socket. Thereā€™s plenty of stories on TMC where the electrician will refuse to do the install without replacing the panel with a higher power one, and that may include getting a higher power drop from the electric company. (In NJ, thereā€™s subsidies for the costs from the utility for this kind of work.)

So, popping the mainā€™s a big deal. Overcurrenting the panel, breaker or no, is dangerous, as in, ā€œYa feeling lucky, punk?ā€ on the bet that the breaker is going to work this time. Theyā€™re not designed to be 100% reliable, especially after multiple operations. House fires have happened under such situations.

What breaker have you been replacing? The one on the Tesla or the main for the house? Who did the install? Existing socket in the garage or a new one?

I am experiencing issues with my wall connector and/or charging my tesla at home. Electricity keeps going off šŸ˜”šŸ˜± I have already replaced the outside breaker and the problems continues. I decided to charge my tesla 3 only overnight to prevent charge overload but it still happening specially if the AC is on. Help! Now is happenning more often. I even charge it on a lower amperage.
Have tesla run a diagnostic on it while plugged in. When mine did that my charger was bad. Replaced under warranty.

Who (exactly) installed your wall connector? Was it a licensed electrician, or an unlicensed electrician, or you? Your post reads like "You" installed it, since you say " "I have already replaced the outside breaker"

If the answer to "who installed the wall connector" is " I did", then STOP, turn off the wall connector, do not use it any longer, and get a licensed electrician out to do inspect the install and perform it properly.

I am just guessing here but I am guessing "you" installed it, and, also did not do any sort of load calculation to see what it should be set at, and are overloading your panel (especially since you state:

I decided to charge my tesla 3 only overnight to prevent charge overload but it still happening specially if the AC is on.

People normalize electricity, but if its not installed properly it can start a fire. Yours is obviously not installed properly in some manner. Get someone who is licensed to do the work to do it.

If I am guessing incorrectly, and you actually did have an electrician install this, and the "I have already replaced the breaker" is actually "the electrician already replaced the breaker", get them back out there pronto and dont use the wall connector to charge until they inspect it. I am fairly certain thats not the case, though, and that this install was by you.