Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Location, Seeking Feedback

Where should I mount my WC? Front facing or on siding?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I endlessly refresh the app for a new EDD on my MYLR, I'm having an electrician upgrade my service and install the WC this weekend. Could use your feedback on the two options:

InkedPXL_20220409_152026153.MP_LI.jpg

1) Front facing, on the brick. It would be visible from the street and sidewalk. Closer to the car, but not by much.

2) Side wall, on beige siding. Not too far from option 1, but would be more discreet/hidden from street view. I do have a hose bib nearby and may have a gutter downspout added to this corner of the house, which would interfere with the charger.

Curious what you all think.

Here's the view from the sidewalk:
InkedPXL_20220409_152059800.MP_LI.jpg

I think location #2. More out of view to passer-by and not an eyesore of the cable hanging down on the front of the house. I would think a future downspout could be put between the charger and the door (doesn't have to be right at the corner of the roof), with a few bricks/concrete paver to keep erosion down.
Good luck and enjoy home charging. I love it, come home, pug in and full charge in the morning.

The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector has a 24 foot charging cord. I would use a garden hose to see how far a 24 foot charging cord would reach from your chosen location for the Wall Connector. The charge port on all current Tesla vehicles is on the left rear quarter panel integrated into the turn signal housing. If you get it wrong you will end up having to back in to charge.

If you will be getting a permit for this work, for the side location the inspector may require that the Wall Connector be mounted a short distance away from and higher than the hose bib connection. The Wall Connector would probably have to be installed to the right of the electric meter at a similar height. I have a similar setup in my garage with the NEMA 14-50 receptacle located 2 feet to the right and 3 feet higher than the hose bib.

If the siding is made of aluminum it may interfere with your home Wi-Fi signal reaching the Wall Connector (only needed for occassional updates, load sharing.) If the siding is made of vinyl it should not matter.

Last edited:
While I endlessly refresh the app for a new EDD on my MYLR, I'm having an electrician upgrade my service and install the WC this weekend. Could use your feedback on the two options:

View attachment 792405
1) Front facing, on the brick. It would be visible from the street and sidewalk. Closer to the car, but not by much.

2) Side wall, on beige siding. Not too far from option 1, but would be more discreet/hidden from street view. I do have a hose bib nearby and may have a gutter downspout added to this corner of the house, which would interfere with the charger.

Curious what you all think.

Here's the view from the sidewalk:
View attachment 792404

So, I'm doing a rear of house (closest to my driveway)/side of house less obvious install. Using a lock box and 60amp breaker.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220411-094737_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220411-094737_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 73
The Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector has a 24 foot charging cord. I would use a garden hose to see how far a 24 foot charging cord would reach from your chosen location for the Wall Connector. The charge port on all current Tesla vehicles is on the left rear quarter panel integrated into the turn signal housing. If you get it wrong you will end up having to back in to charge.

If you will be getting a permit for this work, for the side location the inspector may require that the Wall Connector be mounted a short distance away from and higher than the hose bib connection. The Wall Connector would probably have to be installed to the right of the electric meter at a similar height. I have a similar setup in my garage with the NEMA 14-50 receptacle located 2 feet to the right and 3 feet higher than the hose bib.

If the siding is made of aluminum it may interfere with your home Wi-Fi signal reaching the Wall Connector (only needed for occassional updates, load sharing.) If the siding is made of vinyl it should not matter.
Love the hose idea. I will get a permit. Siding is vinyl but I have a wifi point inside the garage anyway.
Based on the car backed in the picture I presumed they backed in anyway. I do as it's safer than backing out of a driveway into a street. Using a hose to test distance is a good idea.
It will replace the Honda (wife's car) who normally does not back into the driveway.
What about inside the garage and run the cable under the garage door?
Didn't consider this. So just open and close the garage each time to access the charger? I assumed the cable was too thick and would create a small gap allowing mice/squirrels to enter the garage.

The Wall Connector is fully sealed, rated for use in all weather conditions. For best reach you may want to mount the Wall Connector on the brick on the left side of the garage by the awning (wire, conduit would have to be run up and over to the left side from inside the garage. Closing the garage door on the charging cable would be a potential way to damage the cable, require a $495 replacement. You could use a board and leave a gap for the charging cord but that is a kludge and looks like %$&).

Reactions: sleepydoc
Love the hose idea. I will get a permit. Siding is vinyl but I have a wifi point inside the garage anyway.

It will replace the Honda (wife's car) who normally does not back into the driveway.

Didn't consider this. So just open and close the garage each time to access the charger? I assumed the cable was too thick and would create a small gap allowing mice/squirrels to enter the garage.

The cable is 15mm(just under 5/8") in diameter(found with the micrometer that happened to be within a foot of my hand and the Gen3 HPWC sitting in the next room at this moment!)

Another option you might not have considered is passing the wire through a hole drilled in the brick. If you are adventurous and a bit handy its not hard to get the faceplate and cable off of an HPWC, and you could get away with a 5/8" hole. I think I'd probably put it under the door before doing the hole, but its an idea.

I think it depends on how you walk around the house and use your doors. If it's on option 2 and plugged in to the backed in car on the back drivers side will kids/family be constantly tripping over the cable? If you back in to the driveway there will only be a short cable back drivers side of the car so no people falling over the cable if you choice option 1. Or actually option 2 as well if you back in the driveway.

We have a 2-car garage so I plan to have it installed inside of my garage and in the wall between 2 separated garage doors. It's me who does not feel comfortable leaving it outside . I am concerned about "vandalism" although our house is in a relatively safe area

Yeah the cable is pretty big. Maybe a half inch diameter? If that's a concern then going under the garage door won't work.

Last edited: