Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector - max run for 6/2 Romex on 50A breaker

sethinGR

Apr 25, 2021
Grand Rapids, MI
The manufacturers of EVSEs know that 55A circuits don't really exist, so they will only build them with configurations for either 50 or 60.
And you are correct, I verified with a Juicebox user, the app only has the standard ratings 48, 40, 32, etc. Thanks for all the typing to clarify that. I guess I am stuck with 40A.

mociaf9

Oct 18, 2018
CA
1. Code says 6 GA NM-B circuit is allowed to be used with a 60A breaker. I don't have the exact NEC section, but that is what he (and others) have told me.
NEC 240.4(B) (with reference to the fact that 55A is not a standard sized circuit breaker as listed in 240.6)

sethinGR

Apr 25, 2021
Grand Rapids, MI
I don't think you will be able to find any EVSE sold by any company that can be actually permanently configured for a maximum 44A continuous, as if it were on a 55A rated circuit.
I finally got my back-ordered since May JuiceBox 48A, and hooked it up and configured it and lo-and-behold I can set it to 44A. I set it that way on the Device Configuration screen, so I think it is as permanent as it can be for a piece of electronics. I will drop a message here if for some reason it switches to 48A.

tesla app screenshot showing 44A charge rate.

1634001296705.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and mociaf9

Rocky_H

Feb 19, 2015
Boise, ID
I finally got my back-ordered since May JuiceBox 48A, and hooked it up and configured it and lo-and-behold I can set it to 44A. I set it that way on the Device Configuration screen, so I think it is as permanent as it can be for a piece of electronics. I will drop a message here if for some reason it switches to 48A.

tesla app screenshot showing 44A charge rate.

View attachment 720436
Wow, that is really interesting. I don't think I've seen one before that would let you set such an unusual max value. And it does show that as the actual limit, since it's 44/44.

• Informative
Reactions: ATPMSD

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC