Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector mounted outside; mount inside box?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm having a Wall Connector mounted outside. I have read many threads saying it is waterproof, and I doubt anyone is going to try and steal it, but I wondered about having it mounted in a box. Are there any reasons I shouldn't do this? Any safety concerns with the Wall Connector overheating? Thanks!

Tesla Gen3 Wall Connector Manual: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

There is no mention of any specific clearance requirements; Page 13 notes that you should leave room for the charging cord to loop around the Wall Connector else you can use the Tesla Cable Organizer (sold separately) to hang the charging cable next to or beneath the Wall Connector.

Maximum operating temperature is 122F.

The Wall Connector has a NEMA weather rating of 3R - "NEMA 3R enclosures are typically used in outdoor applications for wiring and junction boxes. This style of enclosure. provides protection against falling rain, sleet, snow, and external ice formation. Indoors they protect against dripping water. This style of enclosure does not have a gasketed sealing surface."

The cover to the Wall Connector is attached with included security screws so it is unlikely the Wall Connector will be tampered with or stolen. It is possible that the charging cord could be cut off and sold for scrap by wire thieves.

I think the security box shown on Amazon would make a great home for yellow jacket wasps, just saying.

You're unnecessarily complicating your life. The gray box is a "hose" container. Store my plug in there. See below:

o2n2v3j.jpg

INDOEV5.jpg

Reactions: kayak1