Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector not charging car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
same issue as mentioned here for my baby model 3 - wall connector was great for 90 days, then I plug it in and it's like it's not plugged in at all, mobile connector works fine... waiting for the ranger to come out and take a look.

Hi, We have had ours for nearly 18 months, with no problems at all and then about a month ago started having exactly the same problem. Still fine charging everywhere else, except at home. I'm starting to think there is a software bug in a recent release?). It has seemed to be related to delayed charging (ie the timer set to after 11pm for off peak charging). Turning off the scheduled charging and doing a reset has fixed it. I'll keep detailed notes for a while... It has been an irritation rather than a major problem and I'd been hoping that a future software update might fix it as I don't think it is hardware given the delayed charging correlation and car charging fine everywhere else (where of course we don't use delayed charging).

• Informative
Reactions: baillies
same issue as mentioned here for my baby model 3 - wall connector was great for 90 days, then I plug it in and it's like it's not plugged in at all, mobile connector works fine... waiting for the ranger to come out and take a look.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the result of the ranger visit? Having the same problem and Tesla hasn't been very helpful. First service call (phone) they had me run through individual subsystem shutdown / startup and originally said it was a charge port issue. Scheduled a ranger to come out, then got a call from the service group and said the ranger told them is was an issue with the wall connector without even talking to me. Sure with the tech in the vehicle they can probably localize the problem to an individual subsystem, but why the different story?

Guys what was your outcome?!

I have had it for 3.5 years, the wall charger. The other day, it showed the green top light only and the car mentioned “no wall power; check power source”. The electrician said as long as the wall connector is getting power there is nothing he can do you Need to contact Tesla. Well been arguing with them for the past 5 days to no avail. They won’t come out for 1 week and are telling me I need to pay for a new wall charger... this seems odd and just wrong. I could use some help... any suggestions?

If you don't mind me asking, what was the result of the ranger visit? Having the same problem and Tesla hasn't been very helpful. First service call (phone) they had me run through individual subsystem shutdown / startup and originally said it was a charge port issue. Scheduled a ranger to come out, then got a call from the service group and said the ranger told them is was an issue with the wall connector without even talking to me. Sure with the tech in the vehicle they can probably localize the problem to an individual subsystem, but why the different story?

Guys what was your outcome?!

I have had it for 3.5 years, the wall charger. The other day, it showed the green top light only and the car mentioned “no wall power; check power source”. The electrician said as long as the wall connector is getting power there is nothing he can do you Need to contact Tesla. Well been arguing with them for the past 5 days to no avail. They won’t come out for 1 week and are telling me I need to pay for a new wall charger... this seems odd and just wrong. I could use some help... any suggestions?
Presume you have reset the connector, and tried turning it off and on again?
Also, if the connector was supplied with your car, it should have the same warranty as the car. If you purchased it seperately than maybe not. You will need to read the warranty document at the time of purchase, which is located on your portal

Last edited:
Yup!!! I tried the reset button. I did the breakers, I did everything. Once when I reset the breakers it worked for 24 hours. But hasn’t worked since then!!!

Called Tesla and they told me that I should drive 20 minutes to a supercharger and charge it for an hour then go home. My response was I drive about 200 miles a day, this would eat up my family time, you are really telling me to do this?!?

I’m really fed up with their handling of this situation....

Presume you have reset the connector, and tried turning it off and on again?
Also, if the connector was supplied with your car, it should have the same warranty as the car. If you purchased it seperately than maybe not. You will need to read the warranty document at the time of purchase, which is located on your portal

At some point the warranty became 12 months regardless. I had 2 replaced under the original warranty but they’re certainly not built for long life apparently. I’m currently building a garage and am considering just a simple 3 phase outlet so I can use my Juice Booster 2 instead of a HPWC.

At some point the warranty became 12 months regardless. I had 2 replaced under the original warranty but they’re certainly not built for long life apparently. I’m currently building a garage and am considering just a simple 3 phase outlet so I can use my Juice Booster 2 instead of a HPWC.
The connector is covered under the vehicle warranty and is for the same length as the vehicle warranty, unless you purchase it as an accessory in which case it is 12 months. It’s all outlined in the installation guide in your portal.
Noted though that @Adehbo is in usa, so who knows what their warranty is.
Also I’ve had 3 hpwc going smoothly for 3.5 years. They are able to deliver full beans, however I run them at half strength, simply because I don’t need rapid charging. I suspect this helps their service life. I also charge when the sun is shining, and my panels deliver a stable supply, unlike the grid which fluctuats wildly in voltage and frequency. That probably makes a difference as well.

I suspect it’s more to do with the size of the car which wouldn’t fit in the convict era garage. So the HPWC went on an exterior wall under a carport in the driveway - exposed to harbourside corrosion normally experienced by yachts. Yet still allegedly suitable for outdoor use.

I suspect it’s more to do with the size of the car which wouldn’t fit in the convict era garage. So the HPWC went on an exterior wall under a carport in the driveway - exposed to harbourside corrosion normally experienced by yachts. Yet still allegedly suitable for outdoor use.
My experience with 10 years of beachfront living is that coastal is a whole new level of corrosion compared to outdoor. I placed an outdoor rated intercom on our beach gate. It lasted 3 months. The board was completely cactus.

66A72678-3E55-4AB9-9F05-B1A6135B8A7C.jpeg
Yup!!! I tried the reset button. I did the breakers, I did everything. Once when I reset the breakers it worked for 24 hours. But hasn’t worked since then!!!

Called Tesla and they told me that I should drive 20 minutes to a supercharger and charge it for an hour then go home. My response was I drive about 200 miles a day, this would eat up my family time, you are really telling me to do this?!?

I’m really fed up with their handling of this situation....
Any update on a resolution here? I have the same issue. Green light on wall charger but a message “check charger power” when I try to charge. Charging from supercharger, or regular power point works ok.

We still have an intermittent problem, but have found that lifting the cord up and then pressing the plug into the car, holding still, doing resets and then looping the cord so it sits on top of the charger plug seems to fix it sooner or later - it is a bit random, but 2-3 mins of experimentation usually works ... Too busy to get it replaced at present (it is 2 years old) and we use the local shopping centre now for regular top ups as it has two chargers on 3 phase speeds and one is usually free at the times we shop (70kms added each visit more or less - more if we stop for lunch!) - Coles (vs the Woolies we used to go to that doesnt have a charger!) and the cafe etc there are doing very nicely as a result... Stockland are onto a good thing given our shifted spending...

Shopping centre ow
We still have an intermittent problem, but have found that lifting the cord up and then pressing the plug into the car, holding still, doing resets and then looping the cord so it sits on top of the charger plug seems to fix it sooner or later - it is a bit random, but 2-3 mins of experimentation usually works ... Too busy to get it replaced at present (it is 2 years old) and we use the local shopping centre now for regular top ups as it has two chargers on 3 phase speeds and one is usually free at the times we shop (70kms added each visit more or less - more if we stop for lunch!) - Coles (vs the Woolies we used to go to that doesnt have a charger!) and the cafe etc there are doing very nicely as a result... Stockland are onto a good thing given our shifted spending...
Shopping centre owners should be told about increases in custom due to their EV commitments. Eventually they will all work it out. Now we just need bunnings to do something.

Just a heads up again. Same issue, green light ON the charger cable but not charging. Tried all the steps, called Tesla, still nothing. To make matters worse I was at my vacation home with 4% charge and closest SC 26 miles away. I had reset the charger cable while not plugged in (Tesla rep. suggested) nothing. Hung up with no solution eventually. Decided to try one more thing. Hit reset on charger cable while plugged in for a good 30 seconds. No apparent acknowledgment from cable that the reset worked. (blinking, off/on etc....) Plugged back in the car expecting nothing and the car started CHARGING! Now ,I have no idea what worked but suspect the charger cable reset while plugged into the outlet worked. WHatever, I'm not stuck waiting for a tow and happy:)