Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector not charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Without any reason my wall connector stopped working.

When I connect the cable to my model S, it gives me an error saying “check power source”. Power is fine, up and running.

I’ve opened the wall connector and the EA_3 is blinking red.

Tesla couldn’t help at the time and I’m waiting for a phone call back. Does anyone has any suggestions?

Attachments

• C94B27A8-C038-4DAA-B385-1942C7F565BD.jpeg
    C94B27A8-C038-4DAA-B385-1942C7F565BD.jpeg
    487.5 KB · Views: 715
Is there a light on the wall connector? Have you tried flipping the breaker to off for a minute, then back on?

You may want to ask this question in the Model S charging forum instead of Energy, as this is for powerwall/solar stuff generally speaking.

Hi,

When I connect the cable to my model S, it gives me an error saying “check power source”. Power is fine, up and running.

Tesla couldn’t help at the time and I’m waiting for a phone call back. Does anyone has any suggestions?
I have had exactly the same issue with our Gen 1 HPWC and 2015 P85D. A friend works for Tesla (his name is not Elon), he came by with a 2018 model S and a laptop. after a few false starts we got an error code indicating a bad ground connection in the cable. I had cleaned the connections and tested the continuity with a meter, but the ground connector on the cable did look oxidised so a tiny brush and DeOxit contact cleaner were applied with great vigour. Success! I do not need to spend $550 (w/tax) for a new wall charger!

• Informative
Reactions: Ampster and Shygar
Hello,

I had the same issue a while ago. After several tests it happened to be a problem with the wiring in the piece that plugs into the car.
I took the wall connector to SC and got a new one for free.

Good luck.

Hi,

Did you get a solution?
I have the exact same problem, with a flashing EA3 LED like in your photo.

I have this right now (and also last summer) where it seems high voltage is an issue for my Model X but not for my Model 3. Going to call Tesla later this week when both cars are plugged in and see why one car is pickier about the power requirements. My solar inverter is showing voltage of 247-249 (which is also what I measured last summer before the solar/PWs were installed and before we had the 3).

I get the same thing, Check power source on the app and red charge port. In the car, Check Power, and Ready to Charge, and Blue port.

Now, with both cars installed on the two shared HPWCs, the 3 never has a problem and the X has had the issue for the last week. Then when the voltage drops, it decides it's okay again. I want to call during the week when both cars are plugged in and have them tell me why one car is the issue (design, charger/port out of spec or what).

Last year all I got was 'call your electrician'. I can't really tell the local power company to turn down the voltage (which I assume they upped for all the summer air conditioning loads).

I'd suggest checking your AC voltage when the car doesn't like the power, to be sure that's not it.

I have this right now (and also last summer) where it seems high voltage is an issue for my Model X but not for my Model 3. Going to call Tesla later this week when both cars are plugged in and see why one car is pickier about the power requirements. My solar inverter is showing voltage of 247-249 (which is also what I measured last summer before the solar/PWs were installed and before we had the 3).

I get the same thing, Check power source on the app and red charge port. In the car, Check Power, and Ready to Charge, and Blue port.

Now, with both cars installed on the two shared HPWCs, the 3 never has a problem and the X has had the issue for the last week. Then when the voltage drops, it decides it's okay again. I want to call during the week when both cars are plugged in and have them tell me why one car is the issue (design, charger/port out of spec or what).

Last year all I got was 'call your electrician'. I can't really tell the local power company to turn down the voltage (which I assume they upped for all the summer air conditioning loads).

I'd suggest checking your AC voltage when the car doesn't like the power, to be sure that's not it.

Hi, did you ever figure out how to solve your issue? I think my Model S is doing the same thing. It intermittently will charge, but then when the voltage goes up to 246 and up, it will continuously fail.

Hi, did you ever figure out how to solve your issue? I think my Model S is doing the same thing. It intermittently will charge, but then when the voltage goes up to 246 and up, it will continuously fail.
I’ve 99% tied this down to a charger in the car.

Whenever it happens the car refuses shore power until it spontaneously resets the charger board OR I power down the car from the menu. A reboot doesn’t do it.

Pretty sure it’s not actually high voltage after all since it’s not that high (under 5% should be fine) and my electrician and Tesla logs show nothing.

I need now to wait until the car is in the ‘stuck’ state again and show the service center that it won’t accept power. They can’t repro anything when it’s in a normal state as all diagnostics are clean.

I have had exactly the same issue with our Gen 1 HPWC and 2015 P85D. A friend works for Tesla (his name is not Elon), he came by with a 2018 model S and a laptop. after a few false starts we got an error code indicating a bad ground connection in the cable. I had cleaned the connections and tested the continuity with a meter, but the ground connector on the cable did look oxidised so a tiny brush and DeOxit contact cleaner were applied with great vigour. Success! I do not need to spend $550 (w/tax) for a new wall charger!

Had a similar problem. Could charge another vehicle from HPWC but not my model S. Eventually just had to clean the earth pin on the car socket with contact cleaner and a cloth. (We have Type 2 here, but electrically the same issue)