Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector or 14-50 socket

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was planning on getting the wall connector installed but now I'm rethinking if that is necessary as its 500 dollars more. Do most just have a 14-50 socket installed or do you get the wall connector? Model 3 Performance.

If you anticipate needing to charge more rapidly from low states of charge then the wall connector will let you charge a bit faster (up to 48A vs 32A on the 14-50). But for daily driving I doubt you'd notice the difference. It will most likely come down to aesthetics. Most people with the 14-50 seem to just leave it plugged in and only take it with them when they go on a long trip.

I like the robustness and the aesthetics of the wall charger. I have two Teslas, too, so my two wall chargers share a 100 amp circuit, which enables me to charge both cars simultaneously at 40 amps or if I'm in a dire hurry for a turnaround, charge the 3 at 48 amps or the S at 80 amps. (The S has dual 40-amp chargers.)

Over the years I've had a number of PlugShare people come by and charge and it's nice being able to deliver whatever max charge their Tesla can take.

Reactions: shanegrush
I've got a NEMA 14-50 and an extra UMC that stays at home. Awesome solution.
An extra UMC is a lot cheaper than the HPWC.

The extra current from a UMC generally means only a few minutes difference in charging times. Most folks will probably fill in a few hours, no matter what.

Also, asking an electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 isn't a big deal. Asking an electrician to install a Tesla Charger can result in $$ markup.

• Funny
Reactions: Watts_Up
I read something on the site where I saw the 40amp that it is only 40 amp with the special corded connector or something that appears to be almost the same price as the wall connector.

Wall connector install price is cheap. I just didn't want to spend the money on the stupid wall connector if no one is using them.

Which were never delivered or sold since the Model 3 started shipping. (Just to help clarify to the poster who may not know the difference.)

Gen 1 UMC was sold in Tesla store for a while after Model 3 started, but later they changed it to Corded Mobile Connector (with a permanent NEMA 14-50 plug) which also charges at 40A for LR Model 3. It is still there but out of stock:
Corded Mobile Connector

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I read something on the site where I saw the 40amp that it is only 40 amp with the special corded connector or something that appears to be almost the same price as the wall connector.

Wall connector install price is cheap. I just didn't want to spend the money on the stupid wall connector if no one is using them.

I believe most people (>50%) just use UMC. If you are putting it outside, then wall connector would be a better choice.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I was planning on getting the Wall Connector after my CA rebate came in, but ended up just keeping my 14-50 setup instead. The gen 2 UMC is plenty fast enough @ 29mph. I also bought a barely used Gen1 UMC (37mph) from the auction site and use it for daily charging so I can keep the original one in the car for that emergency charging situation that'll likely never come.

While I would've definitely liked the cool-factor of the wall mounted connector, I don't regret my decision. The gen 2 charger can charge from 0-100% (not that I would ever do that) in ~10-11 hours, and the gen 1 in ~9 hours. Plus this way if my primary charger fails, I can use my backup. Whereas if I replaced my 14-50 outlet with the Wall connector as planned, and the WC fails, I'm stuck on 120v charging until I can get the WC fixed.

I was planning on getting the Wall Connector after my CA rebate came in, but ended up just keeping my 14-50 setup instead. The gen 2 UMC is plenty fast enough @ 29mph. I also bought a barely used Gen1 UMC (37mph) from the auction site and use it for daily charging so I can keep the original one in the car for that emergency charging situation that'll likely never come.

While I would've definitely liked the cool-factor of the wall mounted connector, I don't regret my decision. The gen 2 charger can charge from 0-100% (not that I would ever do that) in ~10-11 hours, and the gen 1 in ~9 hours. Plus this way if my primary charger fails, I can use my backup. Whereas if I replaced my 14-50 outlet with the Wall connector as planned, and the WC fails, I'm stuck on 120v charging until I can get the WC fixed.

For me, the secondary UMC isn't an "emergency use." Right now my wife has the car 200 miles away charging at my Dad's house. When I fly, I plug in at a parking facility. Sure I could unplug the home UMC, but having 2 makes it a no-brainer, as in I don't have to remember to do it.

But different strokes for different folks. If your solution works for you, then it is indeed the perfect solution (for you).

Here are my reasons for installing the wall connector:
  1. I use my UMC 2-3 nights a week away from my house, so I prefer to keep it in the trunk.
  2. I got a $300 tax rebate for installing the wall connector, which more than made up the price difference between it and a second UMC.
  3. I prefer the aesthetic of the hardwired wall connector, as well as the additional safety living in a household with two young children who like to play with plugs...
  4. I future-proofed the installation so I can have a second wall connector networked in and share the circuit.
In the end, you need to decide if you have $500 worth of reasons to install it. The vast majority of people probably don't need it in terms of the extra charging speed.

• Helpful
Reactions: SSedan
My thinking is basically down to this. Gen 1 connector cord is selling for around 275. Thats basically half the price of the wall connector and not nearly as cool and slower. Doesn't look as neat in the garage either. I also read someone talk about how the battery was low and they needed to go out that evening and needed max charge. I don't want to end up in that situation. Now if the one that came with the car could do 40 amps, I'd just install the outlet and call it a day, but for 275 more to get the same thing, i might as well get the wall connector that is neater in the garage and if we did get two cars, it can charge faster. One thing though, what happens if the wall connector breaks, do they warranty it?

One thing though, what happens if the wall connector breaks, do they warranty it?

Yes, Tesla replaced my WC under warranty at no charge to me (no pun intended).

Check with your local utility for rebates. In my case, my utility offers a $500 rebate for a EV charger but not for a 14-50 outlet. So this made it a no brainer to go with the WC.

Instead of choosing between the WC and the 14-50 outlet, I had both installed. That way if the WC goes down or if I need to charge a non Tesla EV, I have that ability.

Reactions: house9
I will admit the wall connectors look cool, but I prefer the 14-50 for several reasons:

- Industrial 14-50 outlet is $100, a $400 savings
- If I ever sell the house I can simply unplug and go, instead of removing a wall connector and capping the circuit.
- They can be used to power basically any 240V device, including providing guest charging as other brands of EVs become more prevalent.
- If my UMC ever breaks and needs to be returned to Tesla and replaced, again it is a simple unplug and go operation with no installation.

The extra charging speed is really the only compelling thing I’ve seen with the Wall Connector. But either solution will give a full charge when I plug in overnight so the 14-50 is perfect for me.

This interesting "debate" has been played out multiple times on this and other websites. (The following applies most specifically to home charging at U.S. households.)

The challenge for a new, or even experienced, reader is the number of variables that may influence decision-making. For example, Tesla--bless it--keeps upgrading charging hardware (e.g., two generations of mobile connectors and three generations of wall connectors, so far). Yet older versions may still retain attractive features though newer versions clearly offer advantages. To add to a consumer’s range of choices, good used and even new/unused examples of all these charging accessories can regularly (if not continually) be found at Tesla.com and its service centers, eBay, Amazon, Craig's List, Letgo.com, Reddit, and the various Tesla forum classifieds. With a myriad of available selections, there appears to be no one best way for all people. Rather, the best choice will depend on a number of factors--e.g., budget, anticipated driving habits, the type and condition of the home and its electrical wiring, the number and make of electric cars to be charged, and so forth.

That said, new Tesla consumers can at least be offered some basic guidelines. First, to consider which general type of home-charging behavior they might employ:
  1. Use a single mobile/portable connector (e.g., supplied with the car) for both home and (at least some) away-from-home charging. This can be the least expensive, but most inconvenient, alternative.
  2. Use one dedicated mobile connector exclusively for home charging and a second MC for (some) charging away from home. A second new Tesla mobile connector can cost from around $300 up to $500 (for 240-volt charging), not counting installation of new home circuitry, if needed.
  3. Use an optional 240-volt wall connector at home and a mobile connector for (some) charging away from home. This tends to be the most expensive alternative (cost of WC + often pricey installation), but can offer the most advantages, conveniences, safety, and security.
These broad categories are only general guidelines, and not absolute. For example, it may be unnecessary for some drivers to charge at home (due to convenient superchargers or work-place charging opportunities.)

Next, to consider the three types of Tesla mobile connectors (I am aware of):
  1. Gen 1 "Universal Mobile Connector" (no longer offered by Tesla) Tesla Gen 1 Mobile Connector.jpg
    • included with original Model S (to maybe 2016?)
    • with optional NEMA 14-50 plug ($45) charges at ~240-volts, up to 40 amps
    • two piece: short adapter plug + body/cord
    • 6 optional plug adapters ($45 each - still available from Gen 1 NEMA Adapters)
  2. Gen 1 "Corded Mobile Connector" ($520 - still available from Corded Mobile Connector) Tesla Corded Mobile Connector.jpg
    • optional accessory
    • charges only at ~240-volts, up to 40 amps
    • one piece
    • NEMA 14-50 plug permanently attached at the wall end
  3. "Gen 2 Mobile Connector" ($275 - still available from Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle) Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector.jpg
    • included with Models S, X, and 3 (since 2017?)
    • with optional NEMA 14-50 adapter ($35) charges at ~240 volts, up to 32 amps
    • two-piece--longer plug-adapter pigtail + body/cord
    • 8 optional plug-adapter pigtails ($35 each - still available from Gen 2 NEMA Adapters and NEMA Adapter Bundle)
There were apparently some early overheating issues associated with Numbers 1 and 2. These were arguably due, at least in part, to unwise home wiring, breaker, and/or receptacle choices that could be inadequate for up to 40-amp continuous charging. If undamaged and using proper home circuits, I believe all three connector types remain viable for all Tesla cars (except the early roadster).

Then to consider four Tesla wall connectors:
  1. Gen 1 Wall Connector (no longer available from Tesla) Tesla Gen 1 Wall Connector.jpg
    • charges at ~240 volts, up to 80 continuous amps
    • adjustable amperage level
    • hard-wired to house circuitry
    • 25-foot cable
    • requires professional installation and heavy-duty (to 100-amp) circuit
  2. Gen 2 Wall Connector (silver or gloss/matte black) (no longer available from Tesla) Tesla Gen 2 Wall Connector.jpg
    • charges at ~240 volts, up to 80 continuous amps
    • adjustable amperage level
    • 8-foot and 24-foot cord options
    • suitable for simultaneous multi-car charging
    • requires professional installation and heavy-duty (to 100-amp) circuit
  3. NEMA 14-50 Wall Connector (silver) (no longer available from Tesla) Tesla 14-50 Wall Connector.jpg
    • charges at ~240 volts, up to 40 amps
    • requires NEMA 14-50 receptacle and proper 50-amp circuit
    • 8-foot and 24-foot cord options
  4. Gen 3 Wall Connector (white) ($500 - available from Wall Connector) Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector.jpg
    • charges at ~240 volts, up to 48 amps
    • 18-foot cord
    • Wi-Fi capable
    • suitable for simultaneous multi-car charging
    • requires professional installation and suitable (60-amp) circuit
    • the current Tesla-preferred alternative for home charging
At this point I will not make recommendations or reveal what my preferred alternative was. My choice, which remains best for me, was specific to my situation and not necessarily best for other owners. Rather, I invite experienced owners to weigh in, offer suggestions or corrections, and direct interested readers to other pertinent conversations.

Last edited: