Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector, or J1772 Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Iron

Jan 22, 2023
ATL
Greetings, all. My first post in an EV forum, ever.

All I know is ICE. I've decided to step out of the stone age and go full electric, so I placed a MYLR order a few weeks back when the price dropped. While ordering, Tesla solicited the wall connector and I opted for it... cause I need to charge the dang thing, right? I did not order the mobile charger and am not sure if I will truly need it. At the time, I didn't know about the J1772 wall connector and with a slight bit of education, I think I should have just brought a universal connector. I've got family with Kia EV6, etc. and I'd like them to be able to charge at my house, since I'll probably be charging at theirs. Besides, the wife might get one (non-Tesla) too.

Anyway, I'm at the point where Tesla has sent me the VIN and I've submitted proof of insurance. The Wall connector is sitting in a box in my living room unopened. If I return it, I'll have to pay return shipping. The Wall connector took a long time to be delivered, so I'm fearful of possibly longer wait time. Just wondering if it's really worth the trouble of getting the J1772? I've also read something that made it seem as if could charge any vehice with the standard wall connector and an adapter. Is this true? If so, what use is the J1772? Sorry for my ignorance.

Also, I have a very good friend who is basically a handyman with very good electrical skills, but not licensed, who can install this thing in my garage. Do I have to go with licensed for any state rebates, programs, etc? I eagerly wait your responses.

Companies make ~$150 adaptors to convert Tesla plug to J1772.

If you mostly charge Tesla then stick with the regular connector. If you think you’ll likely go non-Tesla in the future or frequently have other EVs charging at your house then it might be worth it to get the J1772 version. Otherwise buy the adapter or have your family member buy the adapter if they want to charge frequently at your house.

Reactions: mspohr
The Tesla Wall Connector until recently available for $350 was a smok'n hot deal. Now that the Tesla Wall Connector price is $425 it is still a very competitive price, a better choice than using the Tesla Mobile Connector with a plug and receptacle.

There are many brands of J1772 EVSE capable of charging at 32 amps 40 amps. Once you cross over to 48 amps there are fewer choices.

The Tesla Model Y comes with the Tesla J1772 adapter that enables you to charge using any Level 1 or Level 2 J1772 charging connector.

Find out if Georgia Power offers a rebate on electric vehicle supply equipment (EVSE.) In some locations a rebate is only available for a generic, i.e. J1772 EVSE. This might help you in your decision.

Reactions: sleepydoc
The Wall connector is sitting in a box in my living room unopened. If I return it, I'll have to pay return shipping.

Keep it!!! If you paid the $350 you got a great deal. A Tesla to J1772 adapter is about $150 so the total would be $500. The J1772 version is $550 plus you will then need the J1772 to Tesla adapter for another $50 bringing the total to $600. Yes an adapter comes with the car, but that one should always stay in the car.

And since it sounds like most of your charging will be for your Tesla, it is probably best to stay with the Tesla adapter as the default.

Reactions: mspohr
Keep it!!! If you paid the $350 you got a great deal. A Tesla to J1772 adapter is about $150 so the total would be $500. The J1772 version is $550 plus you will then need the J1772 to Tesla adapter for another $50 bringing the total to $600. Yes an adapter comes with the car, but that one should always stay in the car.

And since it sounds like most of your charging will be for your Tesla, it is probably best to stay with the Tesla adapter as the default
Thanks, everyone.

Yes, I did pay $350 about a few weeks ago. I can see it's gone up by $75. Also, the Model Y I got is now up by $500. Glad I pulled the trigger.

My daughter got a model Y right after Christmas. She got the $7500 off and 10K of free charging deal. Funny how Tesla managed to hustle week old orders to delivery, knowing they were going to do a drastic price drop shortly after. She wouldn't qualify for the tax rebate, so it wasn't as bad on her as it was for some.

And since it sounds like most of your charging will be for your Tesla, it is probably best to stay with the Tesla adapter as the default.
Knowing that I can use an adapter, I think I will just keep it. Although, the manual does say no adapter should be used or no other type of car charged with it.

My Gen 3 Wall Connector manual has no such statements.
Thanks guys. This is actually from page 3 of the installation guide. I was wrong about the adapter part but this statement pretty excludes using one....

"The High Power Wall Connector is designed only for charging a Tesla vehicle (excluding Tesla Roadster). Do not use it for any other purpose or with any other vehicle or object"

This is the smallest Tesla to J1772 I have seen. Looks nice but I haven't used it. I was thinking, if I were to get a wall unit, I would get the J1772 one. But with something this small, I would definitely stay with the Tesla plug (and cheaper) plus this.

Last edited:

All I know is ICE. I've decided to step out of the stone age and go full electric, so I placed a MYLR order a few weeks back when the price dropped. While ordering, Tesla solicited the wall connector and I opted for it... cause I need to charge the dang thing, right? I did not order the mobile charger and am not sure if I will truly need it. At the time, I didn't know about the J1772 wall connector and with a slight bit of education, I think I should have just brought a universal connector. I've got family with Kia EV6, etc. and I'd like them to be able to charge at my house, since I'll probably be charging at theirs. Besides, the wife might get one (non-Tesla) too.

Anyway, I'm at the point where Tesla has sent me the VIN and I've submitted proof of insurance. The Wall connector is sitting in a box in my living room unopened. If I return it, I'll have to pay return shipping. The Wall connector took a long time to be delivered, so I'm fearful of possibly longer wait time. Just wondering if it's really worth the trouble of getting the J1772? I've also read something that made it seem as if could charge any vehice with the standard wall connector and an adapter. Is this true? If so, what use is the J1772? Sorry for my ignorance.

Also, I have a very good friend who is basically a handyman with very good electrical skills, but not licensed, who can install this thing in my garage. Do I have to go with licensed for any state rebates, programs, etc? I eagerly wait your responses.
First of all, don't even dream of using a non-licensed person install it. Your home insurance is void! Ditto for installing gas appliances. Electrician will get a permit (formality...no delay). My hydro company sent an inspector a month later and inspected the install. He knows every electrical company and a few need to be kept on their toes. Mine was on his good list and as expected, all was to code. He put a sticker on the panel and we can sleep while Tessie is pulling BIG juice. Don't cheap out. As for connectors: Buy the Tesla adapter kit. Plug your car in without looking for the adapter...it will cause a fight, trust me. You'll need a J1772 for hotel, mall chargers etc. Since Elon removed the patent the Tesla connector will hopefulky become the standard.

Tesla charger for sure! Use your buddy if you want to void your home insurance. Buy Tesla adapter kit. J1772 connector usefull fo wife's EV, hotel, mall chargers etc. Tesla may become universal standard connector now thar Elon removed patent. J1772 is slower than Tesla.
I sell J1772 adapter lock for 10 bucks if interested. Prevents teenagers, Karens and anti-EVers from unplugging Tessie. PM if interested.