Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector overheating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All I knew for a while was that my car, more and more often, would report "charging interrupted". If left alone long enough, eventually charging would resume, and eventually it always got charged. It only happened with the wall connector, not with the mobile connector and NEMA 14-50 outlet. I thought for a while the Wall Connector was defective or maybe installed wrong somehow. After a while the pattern became clear enough. It's heat. When it shuts down and the lights go red, I can feel the side of it is quite hot.

Reducing the car's charge rate to 32A (same as the mobile connector) seems to solve it. Also, I noticed that the Wall Connector was mounted directly to the metal frame of my garage, which means it has a direct heat conduction to the outside of the metal building, bypassing the building's foam insulation. So, as summer came on. . . this has manifested.

I still want to compare notes, though. Has anyone else experienced similar? Does anyone have suggestions for improving this?

Should I have the installation double-checked by an actual electrician, just to be sure?

No, you should call Tesla and get yours replaced under warranty/recall.

Reactions: brkaus
All I knew for a while was that my car, more and more often, would report "charging interrupted". If left alone long enough, eventually charging would resume, and eventually it always got charged. It only happened with the wall connector, not with the mobile connector and NEMA 14-50 outlet. I thought for a while the Wall Connector was defective or maybe installed wrong somehow. After a while the pattern became clear enough. It's heat. When it shuts down and the lights go red, I can feel the side of it is quite hot.

Reducing the car's charge rate to 32A (same as the mobile connector) seems to solve it. Also, I noticed that the Wall Connector was mounted directly to the metal frame of my garage, which means it has a direct heat conduction to the outside of the metal building, bypassing the building's foam insulation. So, as summer came on. . . this has manifested.

I still want to compare notes, though. Has anyone else experienced similar? Does anyone have suggestions for improving this?

Should I have the installation double-checked by an actual electrician, just to be sure?
You need to have a professional check every aspect of the install. Improperly landed conductors will easily cause excessive heat and is likely the culprit before a faulty HPWC. Lots of variables with high stakes so I would certainly get an expert involved with this immediately.