Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector pedestal options in the US

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do like the Tesla pedestal but at $450 it seems too high for what it is. I have looked and found some but all in the EU and other countries.

I am having issues finding options here in the US. I would like to mount about 3 for from house in the corner of the flower garden. I have not found any good options for the US.

You might want to go to your local home improvement store and look at the mailbox post options that are available. Something like this metal post.

For example you could use a pressure treated 4x4 post, and if you want it to look nice put a PVC sleeve over it.
wow TY

I was at lowes today and did not see anything like this. I will do the metal mailbox post as I want to run the wires inside.

Just make sure that after you put the post far enough in the ground to be stable that it is still as high as you want it to be.

I'd be curious to see a picture of what you end up doing.
I have ordered the one at Homedepot. Since you can put this over a wood 4x4 I am going to bolt a 1-foot section to give more stability but have the metal just low enough to have conduit enter at ground leval and go up the center. Once complete I will add a picture to this post.

I do have to agree the Tesla Pedestal is a bit pricey and I was certain I wasn’t paying $450 for a stick. However, after unboxing it… lol. I will also say the Tesla Pedestal is very convenient, well designed, and provides for a very clean installation of one or two WCs. In for a penny, I ended up putting two wall connectors on it, one on each side as its designed so we can charge the cars on the driveway easily without moving cars around. Also put an additional WC inside the garage preserving that option without running a cord under the door.

Anyway, the pedestal has a nice feature inside of it to share a common neutral among multiple WCs on the pedestal. We have a few EVs at the house and a Pedestal loaded up with two v3 WCs is great solution for the front yard. Put a $450 stick in the yard, run 5 wires through conduit back to a subpanel in the garage, setup sharing on the WCs and it feels pretty future proof for quite a while yet to come.

Also, no conduit is exposed to the naked eye as the conduit runs inside the pedestal a short bit.

Worth $450? I don’t know, but I do like the look of it in front of the house. Maybe use some credit card rewards so it doesn’t sting as much.

TLDR: Tesla Pedestal allows for easily mounting 2 WCs, provides a very clean installation, and easily saves a run of neutral wire with the included hardware.

My Verdict: Evaluate if the person you live with will allow for a 4ft tall pressure treated pine post with plastic conduit screwed to it in front of the house. If that answer is no, let me know how you enjoy the pedestal. 🤣

I do have to agree the Tesla Pedestal is a bit pricey and I was certain I wasn’t paying $450 for a stick. However, after unboxing it… lol. I will also say the Tesla Pedestal is very convenient, well designed, and provides for a very clean installation of one or two WCs. In for a penny, I ended up putting two wall connectors on it, one on each side as its designed so we can charge the cars on the driveway easily without moving cars around. Also put an additional WC inside the garage preserving that option without running a cord under the door.

Anyway, the pedestal has a nice feature inside of it to share a common neutral among multiple WCs on the pedestal. We have a few EVs at the house and a Pedestal loaded up with two v3 WCs is great solution for the front yard. Put a $450 stick in the yard, run 5 wires through conduit back to a subpanel in the garage, setup sharing on the WCs and it feels pretty future proof for quite a while yet to come.

Also, no conduit is exposed to the naked eye as the conduit runs inside the pedestal a short bit.

Worth $450? I don’t know, but I do like the look of it in front of the house. Maybe use some credit card rewards so it doesn’t sting as much.

TLDR: Tesla Pedestal allows for easily mounting 2 WCs, provides a very clean installation, and easily saves a run of neutral wire with the included hardware.

My Verdict: Evaluate if the person you live with will allow for a 4ft tall pressure treated pine post with plastic conduit screwed to it in front of the house. If that answer is no, let me know how you enjoy the pedestal. 🤣
Agreed with your assessment and don't think $450 is expensive for what you're getting, assuming you really need a pedestal mount. Go price the competition starting with Clipper Creek and you'll see this is a relative bargain.

Another idea is to seek out a local welder and see what they can come up with. I doubt you'll find something custom for much cheaper than the Tesla option but that may be a regional thing.

Anyway, the pedestal has a nice feature inside of it to share a common neutral among multiple WCs on the pedestal.
Huh? What do you mean? Wall connectors don't use Neutral. They only have connections for Hot1, Hot2, and ground, since it's only a 240V circuit. Neutral is used if you have to have something dual voltage, with 120V and 240V, but the wall connectors don't have that.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Huh? What do you mean? Wall connectors don't use Neutral. They only have connections for Hot1, Hot2, and ground, since it's only a 240V circuit. Neutral is used if you have to have something dual voltage, with 120V and 240V, but the wall connectors don't have that.
I think they're referring to the load sharing wire when you wire up multiple wall connectors. Otherwise, agreed, it's two hots and a ground for the wall connectors.

I think they're referring to the load sharing wire when you wire up multiple wall connectors. Otherwise, agreed, it's two hots and a ground for the wall connectors.

From looking at the install manual it has a provision so that you only have to run a single ground wire, and that grounds the pedestal and first wall connector, and then you can attach a little pigtail to ground the second wall connector.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Here is the setup that I installed myself this past weekend.
0D95C32C-632D-4BFE-9E5E-886085A2A718.jpeg

Yes. Yes. You caught me authoring posts at 4:09am. It's Hot, Hot, Ground. The point was supposed to be that pedestal potentially saves you money on that copper ground run with a very easy solution for two WCs on a stick.