Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector pin broke off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to go supercharge the other day and noticed a piece of plastic in my charge port.

I was able to just slip it out easily and once I got home, noticed that it came from my wall connector.

Should I be concerned or is this piece just insignificant? Seems like it’s just to help you line things up when plugging in the charger. It charges just fine without the plastic pin.

Has anyone else had this issue? I wasn’t able to find any posts.

Attachments

• 00CF6C94-3479-447D-A5BB-D330F6DD2633.jpeg
    00CF6C94-3479-447D-A5BB-D330F6DD2633.jpeg
    278 KB · Views: 1,087
  • BD2CDD7C-1E76-4096-BEB1-2B1ADE9AEBB6.jpeg
    BD2CDD7C-1E76-4096-BEB1-2B1ADE9AEBB6.jpeg
    776.7 KB · Views: 537
Reactions: gtg465x
While its likely not very important, the HPWC comes with a four year warranty. Why not swap it out? Assuming its a Gen3, there's no need for an electrician.
Good point, didn’t even think of the warranty because I just assumed this would be one of those things where they would say it’s my fault or something.

Just wanted to make sure I’m not at risk of anything by continuing to charge.

As expected when I got home I found the pin did in fact come out of my wall connector. I contacted the Tesla support chat line and they said the unit needs to be replaced. Crazy to replace the whole thing just for that tiny plastic part in the plug, but I guess it's all a sealed thing and they wouldn't want anyone trying to fix it on their own. Hopefully they refurb these things.

Curious if anyone even knows what those pins even do. It all seems to work fine without it.

Attachments

• WallConnectorPlugMissingPin.jpg
    WallConnectorPlugMissingPin.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 424
You're lucky. It also happens the other way with a plastic breaking out of the car, instead. I had it happen where a Supercharger had a piece of someone's charging port stuck in it. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it out.
I had mine break off in my home charger. After killing power to the charger I got a really small drill bit and drilled into the plastic piece and then pull it out.

Reactions: theothertom