Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Power and Current Consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Gen. 3 Wall Connector manuals tell a lot about its current output but nothing about the max current it would draw from the AC power supply. This datum is definitely necessary for selecting the feed cable leads cross-sectional area and the circuit breaker strength. What is it, then?
My car is 2022 Model 3 and my power supply is 3-phase 400V.
Thank you.

Gen. 3 Wall Connector manuals tell a lot about its current output but nothing about the max current it would draw from the AC power supply. This datum is definitely necessary for selecting the feed cable leads cross-sectional area and the circuit breaker strength. What is it, then?
My car is 2022 Model 3 and my power supply is 3-phase 400V.
Thank you.

Yours (Israel/Europe) is a special case, but I'm absolutely positive the US Gen3 manual says the myriad of current settings you can use for the HPWC.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Current settings are for output currents, not the current that goes into the WC.
There should be no difference there. Input = Output. The wall connector is simply a relay switch. It does a little bit of sensing and communication with the car, but then it is simply closing a switch to connect the circuit to the car. You seem to think this is a big charging device which is doing AC to DC conversions or something like that, but it's not. The actual charger, which converts the AC electricity to the DC electricity for charging the battery is contained INSIDE the car. The wall connector doesn't have that.
my power supply is 3-phase 400V.
The wall connectors with the Type2 cables can take 3 phase inputs, but I'm not sure if they can take 400V level 3 phase ones though.

Upvote 0
There should be no difference there. Input = Output. The wall connector is simply a relay switch. It does a little bit of sensing and communication with the car, but then it is simply closing a switch to connect the circuit to the car. You seem to think this is a big charging device which is doing AC to DC conversions or something like that, but it's not. The actual charger, which converts the AC electricity to the DC electricity for charging the battery is contained INSIDE the car. The wall connector doesn't have that.

The wall connectors with the Type2 cables can take 3 phase inputs, but I'm not sure if they can take 400V level 3 phase ones though.
The standard 3-phase power in Europe is 230V L-N and 400V L-L. This is normal and well supported by the Wall Connector with Type-2 connector sold over there.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0