Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector rear entry mount with 100A/#2 SER

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m planning on having my Wall Connector installed soon so I have been reading up on the install process. I came across a video on Tesla’s site saying the rear entry mount is only recommended for 60A or less. I assume this is because of wire size. Has anyone mounted a Wall Connector with rear entry using #2 wire?

It may be when you use the rear (flush) entry there’s no space to make the 90 turn from the rear wall with larger wire.

When you enter with the top or bottom entry you are using the bracket with the pigtails and have the extra space inside that gives you. Rear entry uses the flush bracket and cuts down on space inside, which is one reason we used the pigtail bracket and conduit.

(That’s all from memory but I’m pretty sure it’s correct! I can check the manual if needed.)

Rear entry uses the low profile bracket, only top entry uses the Top Entry Bracket (the one with the pigtails), at least for the one I just installed.

As far as limitations for rear entry, I looked again at my install manual and don't see that listed anywhere, which page is that shown on? Having just done the install (electrician did wiring) I can say it might be tough to get the wiring to make the bend inside the charger and connect as @boaterva metioned.

Rear entry uses the low profile bracket, only top entry uses the Top Entry Bracket (the one with the pigtails), at least for the one I just installed.

As far as limitations for rear entry, I looked again at my install manual and don't see that listed anywhere, which page is that shown on? Having just done the install (electrician did wiring) I can say it might be tough to get the wiring to make the bend inside the charger and connect as @boaterva metioned.
My curiosity got the better of me. :D The manual says to use the low-profile (flush) bracket for bottom or rear entry.... I don't see any mentions of limitations on gauge for either mounting style bracket, either.

You will come in at the bottom , so perhaps the 90 degree turn won't be so bad after all... I'd forgotten where the entry point was, since we didn't use that method, the pigtails of the top entry bracket were much more flexible for us.

upload_2017-10-5_8-30-54.png

upload_2017-10-5_8-33-23.png

Yeah I agree, looking at the Top Entry Bracket I don't see why you could not use it for any type of installation and would make it easier to make final connections. I actually discussed this with my electrician and in the end we decided it was safer to just follow the manual. I am not sure why Tesla doesn't use this bracket for all installations.

Yeah I agree, looking at the Top Entry Bracket I don't see why you could not use it for any type of installation and would make it easier to make final connections. I actually discussed this with my electrician and in the end we decided it was safer to just follow the manual. I am not sure why Tesla doesn't use this bracket for all installations.
Right, if you were coming out of the wall, you would use the flush bracket. But it's really easier to work inside with the extra depth and the pigtails. One vote for using conduit. :)

It may be when you use the rear (flush) entry there’s no space to make the 90 turn from the rear wall with larger wire.

When you enter with the top or bottom entry you are using the bracket with the pigtails and have the extra space inside that gives you. Rear entry uses the flush bracket and cuts down on space inside, which is one reason we used the pigtail bracket and conduit.

(That’s all from memory but I’m pretty sure it’s correct! I can check the manual if needed.)

It’s not in the manual. I saw it in their installation video on their website here. I am in the process of remodeling the garage so I am trying to install it without any visible conduit if possible.

I also noticed that in the video they don't recommend using the rear entry configuration for installs of >60A. I ended up doing the rear entry configuration since nothing was written in the manual and now it's a nice clean look.

It is possible but the electrician will complain because it's pretty difficult to due to the wire size.

I also noticed that in the video they don't recommend using the rear entry configuration for installs of >60A. I ended up doing the rear entry configuration since nothing was written in the manual and now it's a nice clean look.

It is possible but the electrician will complain because it's pretty difficult to due to the wire size.

Thanks for the information. It’s good to know it’s technically possibly.