Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much better do you think charging at 3% of max is vs. 5% of max? Do you think that the battery wear is linear, so it's only 60%?

Even if so, that's an infinitesimal difference given the 95% reduction in charge rate relative to Supercharging.
Ok. I agree that it's negligible. I wish I could remove it from my post.

Regarding the question of what amp circuit to ask for:

In the case of the Wall Connector, I think it makes sense to install the highest amperage circuit you can (up to 60) regardless of how fast you intend to charge your car. The only reason i can think of to go less than this would be if your electrical service cannot safely support this load or if there is some significant cost savings going lower (unlikely).

You can always choose to charge at less than maximum current, but the opposite is not possible.

Screen Shot 2021-12-18 at 11.39.54 AM.png

Preheating the cabin for an hour is wasteful. 5 or maybe 10 minutes(if its very cold) should be all you need.
While I tend to agree somewhat, I find it rather nice to get into a warm car as normally I am garaged so in winter it is warm regardless of outside temps. When it is 20 below out and you heat for only 10 minutes the ambient air may be OK however the dash, steering wheel, seat frame, doors and everything else is still at 20 below. Physics simply states you need to heat a little longer. 1 hour is a little too much however 30 minutes would be ideal. We are spoiled with heat pumps and electricity, not like we are burning gas and spewing CO any more. There are laws in place which do not allow a car to sit with engine running for x periods of time, not any more. ;)

Yes, but slower charging is still better. Not the other way around.
No, it really isn't--not when you get to an extreme like that. Eventually at very slow charge rates, the effect reverses, where it becomes slightly more damaging. I found a study on this a few years ago. The reason why is that the more TIME the battery spends in the state of recharging, there is a continually low level damaging/degradation effect during the recharging process. So if you turn the volts and amps down really low and spend 10X or 15X the amount of the time with the battery in a state of recharging, that isn't as good for it as just getting the charging done in a quicker, more reasonable time, and then letting it stop and rest.

(I didn't bookmark the study, unfortunately, and I've had a hard time finding it again since then, or else I would put a link to it. Extremely low speed charging just isn't studied much, so not a lot of resources on it.)

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe