Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Setup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Once I have connected to the built in wifi on the wall connector and have done the setup to connect it my my homes wifi and setup the amperage what comes next? Should I be able to see the wall connector in the Tesla app or is everything done on the cars screen? My Model Y has not been delivered yet. Scheduled for Dec 9th and I want to be sure I'm ready.

Reactions: Crisita99
Once I have connected to the built in wifi on the wall connector and have done the setup to connect it my my homes wifi and setup the amperage what comes next? Should I be able to see the wall connector in the Tesla app or is everything done on the cars screen? My Model Y has not been delivered yet. Scheduled for Dec 9th and I want to be sure I'm ready.

I also installed my Tesla Wall Connector before my car arrived. If you've already set the amperage on your WC and updated the firmware, then that is the last step and you are good. The car's setup process will be meaningful once your car arrives.

Your next steps are:
1. Push/hold the little round button on the WC handle for a few seconds. This will tell your car to open its charge port. Then plug it in.
2. tell your car what level to charge to. Typically 80% unless you are going on a long trip. This will help maintain the battery life.
3. tell your car if you want it to start charging "now", or at a specific time (e.g. 10pm; if you have time-based power billing), or to conclude before you leave tomorrow morning (e.g. 7am).
4. The next morning, the car has to be unlocked to remove the WC handle. Otherwise it stays locked in place.

My brother asked me the classic gas-station ICE question if the Tesla will drive away if the WC handle is still plugged in. I assume that it is smart enough not to, but I haven't tested this...

Also, there is a Wall Connector thread which you might find helpful:

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

Last edited:
I also installed my Tesla Wall Connector before my car arrived. If you've already set the amperage on your WC and updated the firmware, then that is the last step and you are good. The car's setup process will be meaningful once your car arrives.

Your next steps are:
1. Push/hold the little round button on the WC handle for a few seconds. This will tell your car to open its charge port. Then plug it in.
2. tell your car what level to charge to. Typically 80% unless you are going on a long trip. This will help maintain the battery life.
3. tell your car if you want it to start charging "now", or at a specific time (e.g. 10pm; if you have time-based power billing), or to conclude before you leave tomorrow morning (e.g. 7am).
4. The next morning, the car has to be unlocked to remove the WC handle. Otherwise it stays locked in place.

My brother asked me the classic gas-station ICE question if the Tesla will drive away if the WC handle is still plugged in. I assume that it is smart enough not to, but I haven't tested this...

Also, there is a Wall Connector thread which you might find helpful:

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021
Yes, I can confirm from actual experience that the car will not engage into Drive if you still have the charging cord plugged in (although it did take me about 10 seconds to figure out what the stupid smart car would not go into Drive :eek: )

• Funny
Reactions: rjpjnk and e645824
Waiting on my M3LR and working on getting my Tesla Wall Connector installed. I’m in the process of getting some quotes and one of the electricians asked how many amps do I want to set it up for? Looks like 50 or 60 amps will give me the fastest charging rates. What amperage is everyone using for their wall connectors?

Waiting on my M3LR and working on getting my Tesla Wall Connector installed. I’m in the process of getting some quotes and one of the electricians asked how many amps do I want to set it up for? Looks like 50 or 60 amps will give me the fastest charging rates. What amperage is everyone using for their wall connectors?
You need to work with the electrician to determine A) Is there capacity to add a 60A/50A/40A circuit. B) Once the electrician determines if there is sufficient capacity for the desired circuit, e.g. 60A or 50A, etc. once the circuit wiring is complete the Wall Connector can be installed C) The setup of the Wall Connector includes specifying the circuit type, amperage (this must be set for the specific circuit amperage or else a mismatch would cause a dangerous circuit overload, possible fire.)

Tesla Model Y Charging Speeds

All 240V -
Circuit Amperage/Charging Amperage/Power (kW)/miles per hour added while charging
60 / 48 / 11.5 / 42 miles (estimated)
50 / 40 /9.6 / 36 miles (estimated)
40 / 32 / 7.7 / 29 miles (estimated)
30 / 24 / 5.7 / 21 miles (estimated)
20 / 16 / 3.8 / 14 miles (estimated)
15 / 12 / 2.8 / 10 miles (estimated)

Example: When provisioning the Wall Connector, selecting 60A the Wall Connector will automatically limit charging to a maximum of 48A. (The maximum charging amperage is always limited to no more than 80% of the circuit maximum.)

Here is a table that details the different charging options:

Charging table - time to charge at 120/240V considering efficiency+

Last edited:

Its a balancing act (sometimes), between what you NEED, what the panel can supply, and what you want to spend. TBH, while smaller wires are cheaper, they aren't THAT much cheaper unless its a long run, and I'd always run as big as you'll likely ever need, rated for 60 amps, even if you don't plan to use it.

You may well find that not even getting a wall connector would be fine for you.

Reactions: ericridebike
What's the rush to charge? How many miles are you planning to drive per day?

I really like my Wall Connector and am very glad I opted for it instead of an outlet and mobile charger. I like that it can be mounted outside and withstand any weather and it just looks the part and is as classy as the Tesla. I just plain like it!

I have been very happy charging at 32 Amps. I could run it at 40 Amps but I'm really not in any hurry. The car is charged hours before I wake up as is.

I have an approx 90 mile commute most days. My Model 3 is on order and hopefully getting it next month. I guess I was thinking bigger/faster is better, but I’m a complete newbie on EV’s and trying to learn.
If you have 120V/20 amp outlets in your garage you can get away with a 5-20 adapter($35) and the UMC. Its clear you don't NEED more than 20 amp 240V service which should get you 14-15 mi/hr of charge. You can get that via an HPWC or if you are lucky enough to have a dedicated outlet in the garage already you can get it adapted to a 240V for a small fee instead of running new wiring.

Go as high as your panel allows. Not that you may need it all the time but it sucks when you need to wait because your charger can only accept a lower amperage and your car takes twice as long to charge. Compare that to why does your car go easily over 100mph when you never go there. Simply because when the extra power is required it is there.

Recently I went to a friends house to stay over night. Was rather cold (-10C) asked if I could plug into the 110v receptacle. Had 67% left yet it would take in excess of 24hrs to charge to 100% according the the screen. Next morning I was at 86%, turned on the heat and seat heaters to get the cabin warm and preheat. The power consumption from that even though I was plugged in dropped my charge by around 5% an hour later when I was ready to go so obviously heat/seats and preheat take far more juice that a standard receptacle can dish out. Bottom line is I only had maybe 15% more available in the battery pack when I left which was a charge from 4pm to 10am so yes a little more charge juice is sometimes required.

dropped my charge by around 5% an hour later
Preheating the cabin for an hour is wasteful. 5 or maybe 10 minutes(if its very cold) should be all you need.

But 240V charging is always preferable. 12 hours of charging at 240/20 is more than a half charge, and more than that might be a waste of resources. There are certainly some application where "as fast as possible" is really desired, like when you have TOU electricity plans and have only a short window of cheap power, or if you drive a LOT during the day and want to recharge mid-day for some reason.

Reactions: Rocky_H
A 90 mile per day commute is a lot of driving. The typical driver in the US commutes ~30 miles per day. Your home charging needs would be best served by either a 60 amp circuit (charges at up to 48 amps and adds up to 42 miles of range while charging) or a 50 amp circuit (charges at up to 40 amps and adds up to 36 miles of range added per hour while charging.) If your electrician determines there is insufficient capacity for a 60 amp or 50 amp circuit without an expensive upgrade to your home's electrical service know that any of 40A/30A/20A 240V circuits would also meet your charging needs while taking additional hours each evening to charge your Tesla vehicle.

You could find out if there is any way you could charge at your workplace. That would reduce your cost per mile by about half, also shorten the length of time you would need to charge at home.

I have an approx 90 mile commute most days. My Model 3 is on order and hopefully getting it next month. I guess I was thinking bigger/faster is better, but I’m a complete newbie on EV’s and trying to learn.
I'm also a newbie but slower is better:
- according to Tesla fast charging is hard on batteries
- 90 miles is about 25kwh of energy. Assuming you start charging around 11pm and need to have a charged car by 7am then you only need 240v 12 amp charging. Regular NEMA 14-50 outlet is 2.5 times faster.
- I found that Tesla app scheduling doesn't always work as expected. Slower charging means you have more control over it.
- if one day, unexpectedly, you need to leave your home an hour early then with slower charging you are going to be almost done. With really fast charging you'd barely begin.

I'm also a newbie but slower is better:
- according to Tesla fast charging is hard on batteries
- 90 miles is about 25kwh of energy. Assuming you start charging around 11pm and need to have a charged car by 7am then you only need 240v 12 amp charging. Regular NEMA 14-50 outlet is 2.5 times faster.
- I found that Tesla app scheduling doesn't always work as expected. Slower charging means you have more control over it.
- if one day, unexpectedly, you need to leave your home an hour early then with slower charging you are going to be almost done. With really fast charging you'd barely begin.
When Tesla, others state that faster charging is hard on the vehicle's lithium battery they are referring to DC Fast Charging, i.e. Tesla Supercharging.

Lithium batteries maintain their capacity, perform best when charging (also discharging) is limited to the battery's capacity (kWh.) This denoted as the variable C. Charging at up to 1 X C will not unduly stress the battery. The Tesla Model Y vehicle is currently equipped with an 82kWh battery pack. Tesla Superchargers currently range in maximum power from 72kW (for an Urban Supercharger) up to 250kW (for the V3 Superchargers. The Urban Supercharger, at 72kW maximum, is well under 1C. When charging at rates up to 250kW Tesla software manages the temperature of the battery, charging voltage and charging amperage to help maintain the health of the battery.

At the other end of the scale is the Level 1 and Level 2 charging that is possible at home. This maxes out at 11.5kW, 1/7th of C, does not stress the Tesla Model Y's battery pack. You can safely charge between 1kW and 11.5kW, the only difference is how long it takes to charge; faster charging is more efficient due to the shorter charging time where charging overhead is minimized.

Last edited: